I test drove a 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Convertible with a V6 2.7L engine today and it drove great. Everything felt normal and the oil was fine when i checked it. I stopped midway through the test drive to check the oil/ engine/ trunk space, and when i went to start the car back up it wouldn't start. It was trying to turn over so i revved the engine a bit and it started up. I tried again and the same thing happened. It wouldn't start unless i was on the gas. It started fine when I left the lot. Any ideas?

Asked by May 28, 2013 at 04:17 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Convertible

1,200

chryslers SUCK......check the customer satisfaction rating

285,865

It could be a couple of issues, but do you really want to buy a car right off the bat that has problems? Find another vehicle to test drive that you don't have to hassle with. But if you really like this car, tell the seller you want it fixed before you put any money on it.

I am obviously no longer interested in the car, but thought it was an interesting issue. I was just wondering what it could be.

28,155

To be 100% honest, I would not waste any brain cells wondering about what might have been the problem and seek out a non-Chrysler/Dodge product. According to Consumer Reports, seems like the 2002-2005 had consistent Major Engine component and Engine Cooling problems. Be thankful you didn't buy it :) So....what else are you going to be looking at??

Just looking for a fun little car. Open to any suggestions!

28,155

Assuming you want to stick with a used 4 seat convertible (and not a 2 seater drop top).....Here's some good choices with that in mind: Toyota Camry Solara convertible, Ford Mustang, 2003 Lexus SC (all of these get thumbs up from Consumer Reports).

I came across a solara that i really enjoyed, but i wanted to stay away from the hassle of getting toyotas fixed. I really would like a Wrangler, but with gas how it is i just can't bring myself to go through with it. Thank you for your suggestions! That Lexus is a pretty little car.

4,035

Dealers spend more time spiffing up the exteriors to flip trades than on a "certified checkup" and that is fact. I have personally been stranded several times over years on test drives, matters not brand, or age. It can give leverage for a purchase though! The unit you drove probably has a defective sensor or connector, electronics as vehicles age, are often the issue. The vehicle might not be a bad choice if the dealer corrects the problem and provides a decent warranty, providing you with an out, if you wish. Honestly, if you desire reliable transport, a 10 yo convertible is rather iffy unless the condition is perfect and service documents back that up. BTW, the mitsubishi eclipse convertible is a nice ride. The 4 is economical, and the v6 has real guts but requires premium fuel. The 4 seat classification will reduce insurance premiums over a 2 seater as well.

10

I own a sebring convertible 2.7 2002 that is doing the same thing as the intial post suggested any ideas why this is happening?