2002 Crysler Sebring conv. Overheating

Asked by Mar 12, 2013 at 08:57 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Convertible

This is the second reman. Motor with still the same overheating issue. Heater works good, replaced radiator, and
every thing related, heat sensor, water port. We found that the overflow tank steam was broke so we replaced it. If
the air isn't purged can it really overheat? Is there anything other then the engine components that could be the
problem?

94,955

The only thing I can think of is seeing if there is a larger radiator that would fit. Maybe something for a larger motor or towing package. -- Is there any missing trim/spoiler that would increase air flow though the radiator?

335

Check your Water pump, and or the drive belt system for very slight things that could be wrong. The water pump could be slliping on the shaft and not turning the flow to cool the engine.

3,595

Agree. Removing rad cap on cool engine and run until warm to check thermostat and pump, coolant should flow freely. Check hose pressure and temps to confirm flow, internally collapsed hose or obstruction (tag, label rag etc.) or even rad itself. If OK, then confirm cooling fan function. (sensor, ground, fuse, motor etc.) Finally, is coolant blend correct, air purged, and rad cap sealing? Cheers.

3,090

Is the thermostat missing altogether. If it is the coolant will pass thru the radiator to fast and won't allow it to cool before it goes back into engine to exchange heat.

No, the thermostat is new. If there is air in the system, could cause the car to run hot or overheat?

3,090

After reading the other responses thinking now water pump. something slipping or even a missing or sllpping impeller inside pump. Check for flow like they said.

Best Answer

Thank you everyone for your answers. With this being the second reman. Engine I can't think the impeller is slipping. Everything has been replaced and the air is purged. Any possibility of the issues coming from the intake or the serpentine belt going the wrong direction over the water pump?

94,955

"Any possibility of the serpentine belt going the wrong direction over the water pump?" -- Impossible unless the belt crosses itself. The belt spins in the same direction as the crank shaft. -- BTW it physically impossible to push coolant through the radiator so fast that heat is exchanged less. You may get to the point that you do not see any larger delta T but never less.

3,090

Fan blade backwards. New radiator isn't and plugged veins. Try to take the thermostat off a engine and find out for yourself.

3,090

Fan blade backwards. New radiator isn't and plugged veins. Try to take the thermostat off a engine and find out for yourself. Also if the belt is on the wrong side of the pulley it will spin backwards.

Thank you everyone for your comments. After, viewing all of the responses I take on the task of removing the thermostat and found it to be installed backwards. I removed the thermostat and the car is running without over heating. Now, the speedometer is not working, but the mileage is. Any comments on how to fix the speedometer? Also, if anyone needs a remanufactured 2.7 dohc with zero miles I will sell it for $1,100. Email me through this froum.

The engine is sold.