2002 Chrysler sebring

50

Asked by Feb 16, 2016 at 12:04 AM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX Convertible

Noise coming from driver
side,tapping,sputter that changes tone n
severity when moving shifter from p to n to
reverse. Noise started after changing
starter. What did I do wrong ,what is it n
how do I fix. Car runs n drives fine
otherwise.

6,265

sounds like someone left a bolt out...double check that use a large mechanics prybar to push stuff around and see what's unbolted or cracked~

Best Answer Mark helpful
50

All bolts in n accounted for..thinking I messed something up on removing or replacing starter when jacking up..exhaust,trans ?

50

Gotta b someone out there that's experienced the same. Need answers

6,265

take that same prybar and see if the motor mounts are dud?

6,265

wow there are like four mounts...bet one of these is interfering...had a 59 pontiac and swear to god, the accelerator would go FULL ON...which was embarrassing on a date~

50

I only had to remove front mount to get at starter. Do you think it may be tweeting something out of alignment if not tightened enough??

6,265

it's okay then...yes tighen 'er down in the usual fashion~ see if you can figure out where the noise is coming from...the 3 foot prybar was my best friend when I was a mechanic...noises....force the noisy part around to figure out what's loose.~

50

Started the car up this morning ,no bad noise,let it run for a few min,,ran fine n peaceful like it should. Blew me away,,I left it at home n will check it when I return...don't want to get my hopes up to high,but I hope it worked its way out n is gone for good.

50

Noise is stil there !! Worse when you put car in reverse... With all the people out there that have had to change a starter on this modl,,no one has experienced this ?

6,265

U-joints or CV joints....will spizzle those and see where's the play~

6,265

there was a Clunk when you engaged reverse?

6,265

are your CV boots torn? sounds like a CV joint is crappy~

50

Haven't been under car yet to check joints.. Had a friend look at it last night, he said engine looked tilted to one side, drops down on pasngr side ?? Also told me that one of the bolts holding starter in could b in wrong spot ,sticking in to far n grinding on internals.. All I did was change out a damn starter,,,all thes assumptions n theories R making my stomach turn.

6,265

axles will wear out....it's routine~...just a co-incidence that you happened to notice the crunch in reverse~ so the thing can explode into pieces on the freeway ..the left axle~ https://www.google.com/? gws_rd=ssl#q=2002+Chrysler+sebring+drive+axles

50

Missing bolts,motor mounts not secured,cv joints n now axles ???????? Come on man,,,,Your guessing! No offense n not to b rude ,but if you haven't heard or dealt w a similar problem as this or you just DON'T know,your of no help ! Better to keep mouth closed n thought a fool than to open it n remove all doubt

6,265

this information is free...all I can do is what you've been sayin' about things...have experience with drive axles...at the shop they'd take them and give your replacement to you~ real sad your car is bein' difficult...am an Engineer, was a Mechanic for two years in the early nineties...and just trying to help with what I know about...really is nothing special...motor mounts degrade, parts get loose...stuff happens...YOU have to research what is Wrong here~ gotta draw your own conclusions...I am not with your car to see what is up there...a painting for you because they won't let me have a job because of MS, so I paint now~