My radio will not stay on! I can press the on/off switch it will come on for a few seconds the shut off?

Asked by Mar 20, 2014 at 07:12 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX Convertible

I've replaced the factory stereo with another identical factory stereo and I'm getting the
same results.  I can turn the radio on, it will play for a few seconds then the fader (F/R)
will change to front speakers only (it does this on it's on, then the unit will shut off.) The
fader button doesn't actually move (that would mean the car is haunted) but I hear a
definite loss of sound to the rear speakers and the radio shuts down.  The clock is still
illuminated and I can turn the radio right back on only to watch and listen to same
story. Plays for a few seconds, then shuts down. Any Clue?  All other electronics
appear to be working fine.

Mark Grignon

There may be a short in the factory wiring harness for the stereo. You could try troubleshooting the speakers as well by disconnecting them one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

Mark, you may be exactly right. Looking back about a month, I had to adjust the passenger side rear window as it was not going all the way to the top and as forward as it should have been going to provide a tight seal against the front window. I took off the rear panel to adjust the window and I might have inadvertently failed to re-connect the speaker properly. There is also the possibility the speaker was getting wet due to the misaligned window. I'm wondering if either of these issues could cause a short or grounding issue. It seems as though the stereo issues started shortly after, if not immediately, after I removed that panel and adjusted the window.

Mark Grignon

I would definitely start there. Troubleshooting DC circuits in the automotive world will drive you literally crazy. Good luck!