Replacing Convertible Top, Is it Cost Effective?

90

Asked by Mar 06, 2014 at 04:48 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX Convertible

I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring convertible which needs a new top.  Typically, is it cost effective to replace the top if I want to sell it?  

Thank you

97,135

I don't know where you are but out here if the top is not good no one will buy it unless the price is adjusted for a bad top, so if you want top dollar for it then replace the top, but if you just want to unload it then adjust the price to allow for a bad top.

3,775

I concur, I traded my last sebring, a 2000, that needed a top, battery, brakes, tires. Was penalized for the value of all plus more. If selling, you are better off to get best prices to fix the major flaws. Besides, it helps the vehicle appear maintained, which always sells faster at a better price. You decide if saving a few hundred is worth the hassle.

90

I agree, the only problem is the cost of a new top isn't just a "few hundred" dollars....it's $1,400 to $1,600 (I've gotten 3 estimates). So, if the car is only worth $3,500, and I put $1,500 into the roof then we're talking $5,000, but it's still only worth $3,500..... I'm out the price of the roof...right? Not sure what to do.

3,775

Correct on all Points. Think of yourself as a buyer, if the car is worth $3500 in good repair, yours is worth $3500 MINUS $1500 for the top, or $2000. So whether or not you repair it, you will net the same. The car with a new top will probably sell faster and for more because psychologically it shows well. Good luck with the decision.

90

Thanks Sparky, you're right!

95

If you are looking to buy a car from a Dealer that you can trust and use yours for a trade, then ASK THEM what the difference would be IF the Top was replaced or As Is. That will help your decision. Many dealers can replace the Top for much less (If it is THEIR vehicle to sell.) than what they would charge a customer. Many dealers that do not do certain repairs get much better deals from businesses that repair it for them because the dealer generally uses that business often. Loyalty discount. If you are selling it on your own, then I agree with Sparky.

70

http://www.autotopsdirect.com/Chrysler-Sebring-Convertible-Tops-s/42.htm has vinyl for $319 and cloth for $479. Looks like about a 4 hour job to put it on and you don't have to be a mechanical genius. :-) I'm getting one for my LXi.

170

Whoever says a top is 1400 bucks is so uneducated or simply just an idiot. Even a classic top for a 67 Mustang doesnt cost that much. A new 2000 chrysler Sebring top is sold everywhere for 150 bucks. And thats for the best one. The cheap materials are 79 bucks. Who scammed someone out of 1500 for a top? They must not have shopped around or took the bait from some ice salesman in Alaska. Wow! 1400 or more?? Woooe there tiger. You just got ganked. You can buy a whole car WITH a new top for 1500. Wow dude. They saw you coming.

170

Just punch in "how much should a new top cost 2000 chrysler sebring" on google and yoy get 5 or 6 prices on the 1st page ranging from 100 to 169 for the good tops. The cheapies are even less. Who sold you a top for 1400? Oh well, they got PAID that day. Wow!

20

cmaloney please help me. where can i find the top for 79 bucks?

Pull a Part is the 1st place to get an excellent top for 79 bucks. Try here- "96 97 98 99 00 CHRYSLER SEBRING LX LXI CONVERTIBLE TOP BLUE CLOTH" for a brand new top WITH the window!!. Heres another one with a 6 year warranty for 99 bucks WITH the window!- "1998-2000 Chrysler Sebring STRATUS Convertible Convertive TOP BLACK VINYL, NEW" Why do I have to shop for you anyway, "Burak"? If youre that stupid that you need me of all people to shop for you then you deserve to pay 1500 bucks for the thing. Really? Just stop, go reevaluate, simpleton. I went looking and couldnt find a top for ANY model vehicle for 1500 bucks, @getalife.

paulalu, if you want to get 10 year warrantied tops, glass windows, the rear defrost cables, etc, then go on ebay motors for starters. You can find several reputable top places that have 99 to 100% ratings from EBAY with money back guarantees, ex warranties, installation videos, much support for you if you decide to lay it on there yourself and they all range from about 79 to 350 bucks for some really really good tops. The premium absolutely best ones are at the 4 to 450 range. Installers in most towns and city's will install a top for a sebring for 150 to 300 dollars, just shop around. Theres no way people would be able to afford to own convertibles if the tops were THAT much. You just havent gotten good quotes yet but you will if you shop around a little bit more. I'll help you just to prove a point to some of the "want to disagree to disagree'rs" so to speak. And if I have to, I'll fly to you and install it for you for 150 dollars if you pay the airfare and buy the 129 dollar top from ebay. The ebay stores are not selling USED tops either. Those are only at pull a part yards across the nation. Tops at the ebay stores are brand new with warranties included no problems. Anyway, you can do it paulalu, you just happen to have gotten the highest of the highest out there. Unfortunately. But I promise you, if you want a new top on your convertible, its nowhere near 1500 dollars and I'll be more than happy to help you save that money so you can use that savings for some new tires or a paint job or just to go out to dinner with your favorite person! Let me know.

140

Hello!!!! I need help!!!! I have a 2008 Sebring Convertible and I love this car! It got hit from back 2weeks ago and now my top wont go up! I got the body work done and top still say top in Malfuntion! Had to take to dealers they say dividers or broker and no prower and modules are messed up??? He said may run me anywhere from 1,000-1,500???? Cant be that much! It got hit on back bumper and trunck alittle! Was working perfect before that!!!!!! Can anyone help????* Where can I go???? How much roughly?????

140

I live in Southfield, M

50

You can buy a new top for around $300 and very easy to install yourself.

10

Have to remember to get the hardware and also do you want the glass or plastic rear window? Also most on line places only carry black, white and saddlewood. Have yet to find one that carries blue or gold. Had my new one installed with all new hardware and seals/gaskets and it included the glass rear window with the defrost for 425.00. my Sebring is now 12 years old yet in great shape both the body and engine. Plan on giving it to my nephew in 2 years when he learns to drive. Was recently offered $10500 for mine with the new roof.

20

I have a 2011 convertible camero that I want a new to for (different color) prefer canvas, where's the best place to look? Thanks for any help...

My 2006 Chrysler convert able ( both rear windows don,t work Is it a short because they are tied together or both mothers went out?