I have 2010 audi A4 and the dealership is recommending that I have the timing chain replaced since they are dropping the motor to do some oil consumption warranty work. The want to charge me $480 just for the parts since labor will be included. The car has 80,000 miles. Should I do this?

10

Asked by Oct 09, 2015 at 10:42 AM about the 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Plus Sedan FWD

115,815

Dealerships and their inflated parts prices just crazy, the real rub here is that warranty is paying for the oil problem and you would be crazy not to replace these as they are already there and they know this, then they stick you with this high part price and if you bought your own from a parts store chances are they would refuse to install them for you without a additional fee or not at all saying something like we won't guarantee the work. Timing chains last a long time but it is the other components that wear out, tensioner, chain slides etc. so it comes down too, can you afford the price of the parts and if not is the dealer willing to give you a break on the price of the parts. Who knows they just might. HTH

10

So should I bite the bullet and pay the $500 to replace it in your opinion?

115,815

I just can't get my head around on why the high parts price, You can buy the kit from Deutsche parts for 300 and some change. See if they will knock some off the price, I think that is too high even for a dealer.

12,455

its not as bad as a timing belt change I for my 98 audi even 17 years old it cost me a few years ago 1457$ Canadian and that's just for a belt pulleys tensioners water pump and hardware. So to me 500$ is nothing. But it would be wise to replace these parts at the time they are down there as it saves labor time in the future. Guaranteed they will charge you for 8hrs service labour if you do it some time later down the road instead of free with the warranty work. So i say bite the bullet and do it since most dealer parts can be of better quality then aftermarket.

15

Timing chain is normally replaced at 100k miles anyway. If you are able to get it done for only the parts cost (even if it is a little high) its well worth it. I had the timing done on an 08 A4 2.0T with water pump and it ran $1800. If they are doing all that I would also recommend asking them about doing the water pump now as well since doing it now could save a ton in labor cost later.

These cars are known to have the timming chain stretched due to the tensioner going bad and after it stretched the chain it will jump timming and bend the valves in the head and stop running, i would strongly recommend having it done for the price of parts,, sure with today's age and the internet you can get parts cheaper but you forget that the dealership is a business and it has to be run like a business that's why you pay extra for the parts you do not go to work for free do you

If you have it change it. One less thing to worry about down the line. Plus, it should be under warranty as well.

30

I am a Audi Tek, we suggest a new timing chain on all our oil consumption cars since we're in there and it's a known issue. What happens is the chain stretches and the chain tensioner only has a certain amount of travel. So if the chain stretches to much it gets loose and intake camshaft jumps timing and bends valves. New parts are updated and have not seen any issues yet. We charge two hours labor because there is extra work above and beyond the piston replacement. So if they are willing to do the job for no labor you would be silly not to do it. When chain jumps timing it costs about 5 grand.

yes, mine jumped at 94. kind of silly not to