2002 Chrysler 300M special,replaced timing belt,heads,crank and cam sensors. it still starts hard periodicaly and say crank to cam corrolation incorrect. then the next time it starts fine.

10

Asked by Feb 06, 2017 at 07:37 PM about the 2002 Chrysler 300M Special

the timing belt broke I have replaced the heads with ones from junk yard. All
timing marks are on the money. It will start once in a while with no issues
and no codes as soon as you shut it off and try to start it again it is hard
starting and give a code P0344 bad cam sensor. I have replace the cam
and crank sensor with new chrysler one. I know fuel pump is fine out out
60psi. I found the wire going to the temp sensor had bare wires touching. I
know the ground for temp sensor is comman to crank and cam sensors any
help would be greatly appreciated I am trying to help a single mom with little
money

113,575

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0344

76,325

Sometimes and in some models, low battery voltage or a weak starter can can trigger a Camshaft Position Sensor code.

10

I put a new battery in it. I did not put tester on the battery. I will load test starter Thanks

10

Found short in temp sensor repairs still same issue hard starting and cam sensor P0344 comes up. on start up after I repaired short enegine started no problem. I shut it off and again hard staring and P0344 cam sensor code cimes up

13,365

My guess would be the timing belt tensioner. Hopefully you changed that with the new timing belt. Also some aftermarket belt kits can cause timing issues because of poor quality parts. Also did you clean out the timing belt cavity completely when you changed the belt?

10

Yes new timing belt tensioner,yes I cleaned out the cavity and installed new water pump, I have also checked fuel pressure it is 60psi, also now battery is dead after 2 days,just pulled radio and cd connectors to see if battery will drain after 2 days.

76,325

Fuel pressure is good tho.

10

Fuel Pressure 60PSI

76,325

Yes it is fuel pressure is good. Have you fixed those wires at the temperature sensor?

10

yes I fixed the wires

76,325

Ok, the timing probably needs to be stet with a professional scanner, as the timing correlation between the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor is off. There is like only a 2° window the timing needs to be at. Should just take it to a shop with a capable scanner to set the timing.

Some times the Cam position sensor spacer that comes with the unit is too thick and it will work. I replace it two times then really compressed the spacer to make it sensor closer to the Cam. It has work good for 3 years since.

10

found out starting issue was wrong cam gear on head from the junk yard put original cam gear on and now starts every time no codes. now new issue battery drains every 2 days I have removed glove box light, trunk light, radio, CD player and several fuses. Still battery dead in 2 days

76,325

So what do know, I'm glad you found that! So now your next problem is a parasitic draw. This sight will show you how to check for that... www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRso1A0VScw