'02 Chrysler 300m; Died while driving and won't start now

10

Asked by Aug 08, 2014 at 10:18 AM about the 2002 Chrysler 300M Special

My son was driving his 02 300m to work and while driving, the engine simply died, no warnings, it just died.  He coasted it off the road.  All the lights and power accessories seem to work well.  I tried to jump it but no luck.  When I try to get it to start, the engine barely seems to budge, maybe one revolution.  I wait a few minutes and I may 1-2 starting revolutions but it doesn't fire up.  I was able to get it to start once, after waiting about an hour, but it immediately died and I was back to getting only a single revolution when trying to start the engine.  Since it actually started once, I think I can rule out timing chain/belt.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

60,205

I think it may have jumped timing,if engine turn,s slow,and he was driving and it died quick,and now want start ,check the timing it is out.Even thoe it cranked with you and shut off.Dragging engine is sign of timing off.

32,005

Damn. It's not easy to say other than its electrical. After its sat for a few hours what's it doing?

60,205

Or maybe you just have a weak battery,and fuel pump is out.

455

I don't think you can totally rule out the timing being off at this point. First I would check to see if all of the plug wires have a spark. If a couple are not firing or the wires have visible damage then you should replace them. If more than one is not firing then you may also need to replace the distributor cap. Next check your spark plugs. If you are getting fire across all the plug wires and spark plugs then you need to verify that you are getting fuel. Does the fuel pump go on and then off when you turn the key from the off to on position before cranking it?

104,325

If not turning over, barely turning over or only one or two slow turns then stops I would start with checking battery voltage. If it's low then fully recharge. If car then starts check alternator output voltage. Should be around 14 volts or so. If not then alternator is bad or loose/dirty battery connections. But if all this checks out then look into timing issue.

10

Thank you for the responses. I tried jumping it, I left the cables on for several minutes and it did not make a difference when trying to start it...maybe 1 or 2 weak cranks and nothing. Oddly, I was able to get it to start and run for a few seconds then it died again, it had been sitting about an hour when it started. Once it died after that initial start, it was back to 1-2 weak cranks. I didn't think it would start at all if the timing belt jump. When I turn the key to the one position, the dash lights up, seats adjust, etc like it has good battery connection. I did not notice (listen for) the fuel pump working. The car is several blocks away and it will take me some time to take your tips and troubleshoot before I can report back.

10

Thank you again all for your responses.