My bettery light came on now my car wont start

60

Asked by Aug 02, 2013 at 10:22 AM about the 2002 Chrysler 300M Special

Yesterday 8/1/2013 my cars battery light came on and since then my car has struggled to
start. This morning I was on my way to work and all the lights in my car went crazy and
my transmission wouldn't shift. Luckily I made it to work, however when I shut my car off it
wouldn't start back up. Any ideas what's going on?

have you replaced the battery?...sounds like you should~

take it to NAPA, ask them to please install their battery for you-

60

I have a warranty on my battery with les chwab and am taking it to them after work....i felt like this might be the issue im not really a car guy and was unsure

...well if it is a healthy battery should not be issuing the "battery" light would indicate an undervoltage condition...also just starting the car forces 300 or so amps to go from the 1/0 battery cable thru a single bolted connection~

...this connection should be attacked with a coarse wirebrush to re- establish proper grounding...both the 1/0 battery lug...and the place that it bolts to~

60

could this be my alternator as well?

get 'er goin' test the output voltage...should be at least 15.5-17.0 VDC~....if not ....replace it~

60

AWESOME! Thank you for your advice I truly appreciate it

you're welcome...it's like a coarse wirebrush probably isn't something an apartment dweller would have, but anyone with a house will have one for cleanin' the grille etc~

60

So I went to try and start the car and I hear a clicking, am I correct in thinking that is the alternator?

well the startermotor is going to want to see at least "welding" strength amperages...and the solenoid who's contacts will slam together with the ignition key powering the starter solenoid will need to see at least 11.5- 12.5 volts....so in conclusion test the battery...better still LOAD test the battery to check it's health...should be 12.5 volts, still be able to start the car after a three second dead short and be able to be fully recharged in 5-8 hours (depending on charger)....so if your battery is older than five will not be charging up very easily.....get a NEW battery, wirebrush this main connection from the 1/0 cable to ground and it's off to the races~

we will never know if it's your alternator belly-achin' because it has to carry grandpa over the threshold here~....see as the battery gets older will stop taking a charge ten percent per year, if you've still got the original 2002 battery was completely and utterly useless five years ago.....sad really...was such a good battery...waaaaa~

60

My alternator went out was able to find someone to fix it for $30 plus part.