2.7 V6 Replacement

55

Asked by May 28, 2008 at 09:17 PM about the 2003 Chrysler Sebring LXi

Is it possible to replace a 2.7 V6 that has sludge issues with a 2.4 4cyl?  How complicated of a conversion would this be?  Can I use my old transmission and computers?

3,045

Just get another 2.7. Otherwise you destroy that value of your car, get less power/torque, and you would be putting a mitsubishi motor is your car. Besides, you would need a different wiring harness, ECU, engine cradle, transmission, axles, maybe steering knuckles, maybe a steering rack, exhaust, and probably even more than that. See what I mean?

545

+1....the problem with these motors is that the oil capacity is already small, and that they are known as sludge motors, supposedly if you maintain it well and make sure you never miss a 3000 mile oil change then you'll be fine...but start prolonging maitnance and they're done for...i know that many shops regularly swap the 2.7 out of intrepids and concordes for the larger and MUCH better 3.5 V6...but i'm prettty sure chrysler never put the 3.5 in a sebring/stratus...doubt it would fit either...being it's FWD...to drop the 4 banger in there you might get away with the same tranny...i believe both motors are transverse...meaning sideways in the compartment...computer would deff have to go tho...and it'd be a dog with a 4 cyl

55

Thank you very much for your insight. I think I will stick with the 2.7 for right now. I bought it used and I don't think it was maintained properly.

40,245

Make sure you have the timing belt changed and the tensioner checked and replaced. These engines use oil pressure to tension the timing belt so any sludge build up slackets the belt and can cause engine failure. Might try to start using synthetic oil.

I replaced my engine with my same engine after having it machined. The 2.7 in the LA area for a 2002 sebring conv't is near impossible. They fixed chrysler sludge problem. My car runs quiet and smooth. It cost me $2000 for the machine work and rebuild parts. The did it all. It cost me another $800 to have it installed. Whatever you do if going the 2.7v route - do install anything unless it's been machined - any other way and you are just wating your hard earned cash. - John

230

GOOD NEWS . first (Engine flush) the engine get yourself a 350ml bottle of kleenflow engine flush, a litre bottle of Lucas engine oil stabilizer and a 4.4 litre bottle of castrol gtx high milage with anti sluge. Now first run the engine at its high when the thermostat starts openning. This is the point where you would normally see your oil light flikering. 2nd while engine is idling, pour entire kleen flow engine bottle in crankcase for 5 min at 1500 RPM slightly faster than idleing. Drain oil. 3rd drain oil fully till no more drips. 4th replace oil filter with a wix filter do not use fram filters they work good in seebrings.5ft Poor 3/4 of the castrol GTX oil in crank case. 6th start car and at idle pour lucas stabilizer oil slowly till the bottle is finished then add the remaining castrol in engine ...it may need a dab extra from a one litre bottle to have it a the right level. this should fix the problem (only if your engine wasn't knocking alwready ) good luck

230

GOOD NEWS . first (Engine flush) the engine get yourself a 350ml bottle of kleenflow engine flush, a litre bottle of Lucas engine oil stabilizer and a 4.4 litre bottle of castrol gtx high milage with anti sluge. Now first run the engine at its high when the thermostat starts openning. This is the point where you would normally see your oil light flikering. 2nd while engine is idling, pour entire kleen flow engine bottle in crankcase for 5 min at 1500 RPM slightly faster than idleing. stop engine. Drain oil. 3rd drain oil fully till no more drips. 4th replace oil filter with a wix filter do not use fram filters they dont work good in seebrings.5ft Poor 3/4 of the castrol GTX oil in crank case. 6th start car and at idle pour lucas stabilizer oil slowly till the bottle is finished then add the remaining castrol in engine ...it may need a dab extra from a one litre bottle to have it a the right level. this should fix the problem (only if your engine wasn't knocking alwready ) good luck I did my car and the oil light is gone even at low idle

It is a lot of work to change from V6 to a 4 cylinder. Not worth doing, believe me. I have done enough engine swaps. I just want to mention one IMPORTANT fact, the 2.4 cylinder engine is a Chrysler engine, NOT a Mitsubishi.

40,245

I don't believe they put the 3.5 in a Sebring until the last couple of model years when the Sebring could have a 3.5 as the highest level.

40,245

Meaning, like 2008-9ish they had it in the Sebring.

The 2.7 is the way to go with sebrings. All the others have foreign trannys and they are very very expensive to replace. The 2.7 is paired with a more American transmission. Easier and cheaper for repairs. I know this because my parents own an auto care shop and we get a lot of 2.4 and 3.0 motored cars in with bad trannys. Be prepared to drop a few grand in it when it goes out!!

330

The coupes and sedan Sebrings use two totally different engines.The sedans use a Chrysler version 2.4 and 2.7.The coupes use a Mitsubishi 2.4 and 3.0.The mitsubishi motors are more dependable but are not the best.The Mitsubishi motors should last you 200K or more with proper maintenance but its rare to find a Chrysler 2.4 or 2.7 doing so without it being rebuilt or replaced.

145

The 2.5 liter engine is awesome. I believe it will fit right in, but before you do, get the correct brain (ECM), Or the engine you install will not run properly.

So icons witch the engine from my Sebring 1999 Into a convertible body?

So i can switch the engine from my Sebring 1999 Into a convertible body?

30

I personally just completed a 2.7 to 2.4 engine swap in a Sebring. For being a modern vehicle, this is a relatively simple engine swap. Being a mass produced car, the two engines use the same engine mounting points on the car. All you need is a Chrysler 2.4L engine and torque converter, the mounts for the engine, the 2.4L wiring harness, PCM, and the 2.4l Exhaust system from the midpipe up. Both engines use a Chrysler 41 TE. As I mentioned before, you would need the torque converter for 2.4l engines. If you attempt to use the 2.7l torque converter, the car will get better overall fuel mileage but will be extremely sluggish. This of course only applies for the 2001 to 2006 Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus, which are rebadged twins.

I know this is an old thread but nobody has mentioned the water pump gasket that goes bad and dumps coolant into the motor? Thats why they develop rod knock at 50k miles. The 2.7 is terrible. Get rid of it as soon as possible.