battery cable came loose and cleaned and replaced it. the car starts but wants to die. the air and radio went out briefly a few days before the car didnt start and I found the loose cable.

Asked by Sep 08, 2012 at 11:26 AM about the 2003 Chrysler Sebring LX Coupe

I then started the car and stepped on the gas with the head lights on and they got brighter and was told it was the
altenator. I was then told to drive it for 10 miles to reset it, whatever that means. I hate to drive it 10 miles and then
have to walk home. it is starting fine now but wanting to die and all the lights and things are working.....any ideas
would be helpful as im really tight on cash and trying to stay cheap with this but it is my only car.....:( thanks

1,525

Easy way to test your alternator. Start your car then remove the positive cable from the battery. If the alternator is bad, the car should die.

17,345

Its hard to do that test if the car wants to die as it is. If the car idles low the alternator cant produce a proper voltage. AKA when it's stalling and dropping rpm's. This is normal alternator behavior to be a lower voltage at idle. I would disconnect the battery negative cable for about a minute and then try to run it again to let everything reset. A loose cable can casue voltage spikes and damage sensors or worse the PCM. Chances are if your not having to jump start the car the alternator is fine. But if you see you lights surging with a constant rpm then the alternator is bad and replace it.