Battery light 2003 Chrysler Sebring.

10

Asked by Jul 13, 2013 at 08:05 AM about the 2003 Chrysler Sebring LXi Convertible

Battery light will come on while I am driving my 2003 Chrysler Sebring.  When I park the
light goes off and doesn't come back on until a week later, off again, then on again another
week later.  This past week it came on 3 out of 5 days, but always goes off after I turn the
car off. Would this be the battery? Alternator? a loose cable?

Bonnie, you just about answered your own question..you are sure on the right track. I suggest having battery and alternator tested, no corrosion on battery terminals, good ground to frame/chassis. The battery should show somewhere around 12.5 up to 14 volts and be able to produce 300 CCA, Cold Cranking Amps minimum, and alternator same voltage and 80 amps at least..actually should be higher but 80 amps at idle is acceptable. Most large parts places will test them for you free..but please don't buy anything and everything they throw at you. Unless you are convinced that whomever tests it is competent. Your battery should show date purchased, and if it's 5 years old that is about the life span of a battery, especially if you do a lot of city driving with many start/off cycles ....and take a good look at your serpentine belt, should show no fraying on edges or cracks, and push you finger on it to see if it is tight..engine off of course

10

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I sincerely appreciate it!! Had test done, however don't understand. Results follow: EXP Decision: Charge required, Voltage 12.15, measured: 25 CCA rated 600 CCA, Temp: 118f ???? Starter Test: Cranking normal, Voltage 10.12V, Amps: 0,0A, Time 906ms??? Charging System Test: Excessive ripple, No load: 13.74V, loaded 14.06V??. I asked what it all means& he told me your battery will die at any time now, don't use anything that drains it (radio,etc.) and to get a new alternator.Where is serpentine belt located? Sorry, I'm rather challenged when it comes to autos. Battery is located at wheel well (take tire off to see) so I will need to take somewhere to be checked.. This is beginning to sound expensive & like everyone else I'm financially strapped, but need car to work (30 mi away no less!). I transport my infant granddaughter daily too,so can't afford a breakdown. Know of any honest, willing-to-work- with you mechanics in Zephyrhills, FL area (fairly new here)??

First. I know nothing about Florida. You can't even get there from here, so to speak. The serpentine belt is the one you can see, the only belt you can see when you open the hood and look at your engine. You definitely need a new battery if it only produced 25 CCA..that might start it but it's a goner for sure with that number. He is right about that. The alternator...? maybe. You will be fine to try a battery that you do need for sure, and see if the alternator keeps up.