Why can't I add coolant to my overflow tank?

Asked by Mar 10, 2014 at 07:28 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX Convertible

I have a 2004 C hryser Sebring with a 2.7L, 6-cylinder engine. Yesterday it overheated
with coolant all over the driveway.  When I went to remove the cap on the overflow tank,
I realized that the cap wasn't seated properly; my fault--I had removed it yesterday.  I
think it got air in the system.

I tried to replace coolant today.  When looking in the mouth of the overflow tank it looks
like it is full.  When looking at the side of the tank, it is difficult to determine the level as
the old tank is a bit discolored and my former mechanic added the green coolant rather
than the reddish color prescribed by Chrysler.  But, the level looks like it is barely
above the bottom of the tank.  When I try to add coolant, though, it overflows.  Could air
be keeping the coolant from going into the tank?

One last problem is my coolant air bleeder valve.  My former (emphasis on former)
mechanic replaced it last year.  I had another mechanic mention that it might be
defective, but I didn't understand until this morning.  When I try to turn the bleeder
screw, it's not just the screw turning; the metal cylinder that it sits in is turning, too.  
So, I can't tighten or loosen it.  I just ordered a new one from Auto Zone ($65 for
tomorrow vs $135 to pick it up at the dealer today).  I've watched video and think I
should be able to replace the part even though I'm not exceptionally mechanical.

My main question remains, "Why can't I add coolant to my overflow tank?"
I tre

Ok the overflow tank serves a dual purpose, to catch coolant, and upon cooling there is a tiny valve on the radiator cap that allows the cooling vacuum to pull coolant back in to engine. If cooling system is full no coolant will be accepted during cooling cycle, if your radiator cap is tired or worn out it will over fill the recovery bottle. Tricking you into thinking the car is overheating when the cap is not holding pressure in cooling system. For every pound of pressure the Boiling point is raised by 3 degrees. (Example 214 boiling pressure x 16 pounds raises boiling to around 320 degrees this is only an example.)

Its over full

But there is virtually no coolant in my overflow tank (+/ .5 inch) while the fill mark is 7 or 8 inches high. And for the cap, as I mentioned in my original post, the cap was my fault (for the overflow tank--there is no radiator cap on my engine that I'm aware of.)

The trapped air is preventing proper coolant fill. There are many links here to info regarding your issue. The system needs the cap on to pressurize and purge air. First use the bleeder to remove excess air, there are videos on youtube showing the process. Also, you need the red coolant to properly protect the system, I would drain and refill it regardless.

Then yes sparkky is correct you will need to start from scratch in the fill and bleed procedure. 2.7 is very temperamental to fill and bleed 5year coolant is recommended for maximum protection. (Orange)

Richard Daly

Take the radiator cap off and fill the radiator until it reaches the top. Fill your overflow resivoir to the full cold line. Run your engine it will force fluid into the resivoir to the full hot line. Keep in mind that filling the resivoir does not directly fill the radiator. That transfer of fluid is a process that occurres when the fluid is heated and cooled.

i am in iraq - i want coolant-reservoi for chrysler sebring 2009 but in iraq no have !!!

Becca Galiano