2004 SEBRING 2.7 KNOCK ?

Asked by Apr 03, 2012 at 09:46 AM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX Convertible

ok so i just bought a 2004 sebring lxi with 75000 on it off my friend , the battery was dead so i
tried jumping it and it took a really long time to start the first time and when it started i made a
knocking sound then it shut off , then the second time i had the gas pedal all the way down and
when it started it made the knock and it wouldnt rev pass 2k , what could the problem be and he
took very good care of the car/oil change every 3000 miles ,what could it be the knock sensor / or
crank sensor ? im going to get a new battery for it next week and a new knock sensor , it also back
fired and then turned off .....

12,315

Not sure if you are aware of the issues with the Chrysler 2.7 engines. I would advise you to google this engine read about the issues surrounding it. In a nutshell these engines have had serious issues with the oil slugging up and causing engine failure. Before you stick too much into this engine I would check if this engine has this problem. From what I know its futile to try to save a 2.7 once it has starting slugging up. This usually happens around 60,000 to 70,000 mile mark, sometimes earlier. Back to your question it could be crank sensor, but anytime you have backfiring you have to keep in mind timing also. One more thing to mention is that the timing tensioner is tensioned with oil pressure. If the engine slugges up............no oil pressure and timing belt jumps and knock knock you will have.

Ya but I read a couple of articles and they said a bad knock senor can cause the engine to knock so im not sure ..

12,315

You can check inside valve cover (where you add oil and look for oil buildup. Also pay real close attention to coolant reservoir for ANY oil residue. Just FYI a knock sensor is a piezoelectric electronic component. It senses noise made from preignition or pinging or knocking. If it senses this noise it converts it to an A/C electrical signal. It sends this voltage to the computer which in turn retards timing. If you are getting knocking even under no load and low RPM's I would look more toward timing especially if you are getting any backfire.

12,315

Should have mentioned knock sensor is a rather involved job to replace its under the intake manifold. You can test it......it's called backprobing. Connect the positive lead of a voltmeter to the knock sensor signal wireand the negative lead to the sensor ground. Set the voltmeter to the A/C volt scale start the engine and check for A/C voltage signal from the knock sensor.

155

If you have the 2.7 engine I wouldn't put a nickle into that car. They have a bad rep. Sorry my friend

10

What car don't have a bad rep.it all boils down to how you drive and take care of it.I got a sebring 2.7 that has 297.000 on it because I changed the oil and did the timing when it needed it.I drive from greensburg PA to new york 6 times month with it never fail a test never stopped running for me yes I'm the only owner.