I have a 2004 chrysler sebring, reservoir keeps boiling water, just had head and motor replaced one month ago, they also replaced the thermostat, $5300. Dollars and still reservoir boiling water

450

Asked by Mar 08, 2014 at 10:39 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX

Scared to take it back to the same
shop, I feel like they are ripping me off,
please help, what can this be??

450

Anyone out there

109,845

Sounds like head gasket issue.

Is the car indicating an overheat condition? These cars are very sensitive to air in the cooling system if not properly (bled) can result in hot spots in the heads when the coolant hits the hot spots causes air bubbles. Thus the boiling reservoir.

450

I just had that done by the same shop, in Oct.

Is the car actually overheating? Or does it bubble cold too?

450

It does not show that it is overhesting at all, when I turn the car off and get out I can hear the boiling

All the time or after traffic

Do you ever hear the cooling fan running?

450

There is also a burning smell, but the shop said thats the way it is suppose to smell, it started boiling last friday 2/28, so I took it back to shop and they said it was the thermostat, so they replaced that, when I got home last night I heard the boiling again

450

After I have been driving for about 15 minutes, yes I can hear the cooling fan come on

450

Waterpump and timing belt were replaced about a year ago

109,845

As Tommcmanis mention double check your coolant level. If they left some air in cooling system it could also act this way.

There is a fluid called block tester about 40.00 its a kit that will change color if there is a head gasket issue. Most big parts house in america will have it. It will help cut down on it could be's. And keep you on thr winning side of your pocket book sadly alot of (mechanics) are not looking out for the customer and give real techs a bad rap.

I did mention air in the system

109,845

There is a test kit you can use that will check your coolant for exhaust gas. This will help you rule out another head gasket issue. Your local auto parts store will have one.

109,845

Dang you type faster than me. I out of this one I think you got her on the right track. Drive safe.

Is this a 2.4?

Work for chrysler

450

That is what I am scared of I took it in because it was starting to get hot, thry said it was the head $2100. then I drive less than 2 miles and check engine light comes on and they tell me the motor is blown, so replace motor $2600., this was all at the end of Jan., then thermostat was last week, I am scared of what they will say it is next. But it is under warranty and they have taken all my money, so I am kinda stuck using them

450

Yes it is a 2.4

Ok so the was overheating?

Original issue

450

My indicator inside usually stays below the middle line, when I noticed it was starting to go above that I pulled in to this shop, and thats when they told me it was the head

450

The problem right now is the water boiling in reservoir and burning smell, no overheating

33,765

Take it back to those clowns. Bottom line, you shouldn't be having any problems. You paid good money for a job that wasn't done properly! If you're in the USA you have recourse. BTW was it a Chrysler dealer that did the work? Good luck. I never liked Chrysler products.

450

Yes I am in the USA, it was Drivers Auto Repair on Jones Rd. In Houston, Tx.

The reason I asked about the original problem is if it had a head gasket issue and the head was reused w/o surfaced and pressure tested could have a a crack in the head giving your current problem

450

I took it in for inspection sticker in Oct., the advised me the head gasket needed to be changed, then jan I took in for overheating and they took head to machine shop and resurfaced it, they told me car was ready, I paid them $2100, and put gas in car and drove home, less than 1 mile, got it vBulletin in the next morning,driving to work, less than 1mile check engine light came on and I pulled back in there driveway, and they said they had never seen this happen before, but now my motor needs to be replaced, that nothing was happening on the first cylinder

450

In oct they did replace head gasket

33,765

Give them one more chance to fix it right then if the problem is still there take legal action. Not that I want you to feel bad but I just had the head gasket done on my Kia Sportage diesel and it cost me about $350.00. I'll grant you I'm in the Philippines and labor is cheaper here but the mechanic stood behind his work when I had a minor problem. Don't let them get away with poor workmanship. You paid good money for the job. Also, write down a time line with your problems and the results you are experiencing. My father had a sign on his desk in Latin. It interpret like this. Pardon my French BUT "Don't let the bastards ware you down."

450

Yes, I think paying over $5300 dollars, I should not be having these issues at all.

33,765

Keep us posted as to how this turns out. Remember the "3P" Be polite Be persistent Don't procrastinate

Im w you on this timely correct first time service should be any real shops first priority.

33,765

Hi Deborah. I did a Google search on those guy. They've got nothing but bad reviews. Yelp gives them 1 star almost a cross the board. They are not BBB accredited. There is a phone# for there customer care. 281-651-7316. I think you may have better luck trying to go there then deal with the local bozos. Remember the"3P`s" when you tell them your a user of the internet and media and would like to leave them a glowing review when this problem is resolved.there job is to say NO your job is to get them to say yes. Accept nothing less then what you paid for.

Best Answer
450

I went to auto store and got a new radiator cap, less than $5. Drove the car for about three hours, and no boiling.

Awesome glad to hear it was an easy fix good job! Pat yourself on the back!

450

Hopefully, that is all it was. Thank you! :-)

33,765

I'm so glad that you have found a inexpensive fix. I think you should contact there corporate headquarters and report such incompetence. Not that I think they care but it would be interesting. If they offer you a discount coupon for all of your trouble take it and sell it on craigslist.

20

I have a 2006 sebring the resivor is bubbling and steam is coming out of it but the car dosent indicate that it is over heating is this my water pump or thermostat or what? Any advise helps please

450

Try replacing your cap for radiator, it cost less than 5 dollars. I have not had any problems with mine since I changed that. I could have saved over 5900. Dollars.

20

I have the same problem with my 2003 it don't have heat and snow like flakes out of vents what should I do sorry I klnow this is ancers only

10

I have a 2004 Sebring limited drove home indicated was on the middle line a little water was on the bottom but was boiling when I pulled in garage and the fan went on I know when I pulled out of the driveway from my mothers I bottomed out :( but it drove a good 20 miles without any indication of a problem I till I heard the boiling reservoir any solutions for me I'm gonna try a new cap first

I have same make and model as well as year . interestingly enough same problem. If u find answer let me know

450

I bought a new radiator cap $5. Try that first

had same problem got air in the system you have to bleed it here to check make sure your radiator cap is goodyou have to bleed the system get all the air out to stop it I just did that and fix my problem no head gasket no nothing if you had any leaks in your radiator or had any work done to the cooling system you must bleed the system or its not going to be any good

2004 boiling issue as well...I was driving on the turnpike and the car started to decelerate on its own and I seen smoke from the engine. I pullednover and resevoir was boiling...car shut off on its own...I waited till it cooled down and tried to start he car and heard a faint tick tick tick (not a bad starter sound or alternator sound) , had lights, battry seemed to b ok...tried to jump wih cables and nothing...did not turn over, thinkn its the head gasket. ?.is the price really expensive to fix

450

Try buying a new $5. Radiator cap. Before doing anything.

First buy the cap for the tank. Check if your top housing (bleeder) isn't cracked (mine was along with radiator) Check if the thermostat opens. Start the car when its cold with an open cap for the tank, and unscrew the bleeder so the air can start coming out, start putting in coolant until the tank is full and wait until the car warms up (when it warms up the thermostat should open and all the coolant from the tank will go to the radiator, so just keep adding the coolant to the tank until its full and no more bubbles will show up (you will see a lot of bubbles in the process) you will know that you're done when bubbles will stop and only coolant will come out of the bleeder screw) If thermostat won't open your coolant won't go down from the tank. If the headgasket is going out it will throw the water out of the tank instead of taking in. My thermostat kept getting stuck every 4-5months , I decided to take it out. Now it doesn't warm up as fast but it doesn't over heat anymore since I replaced the radiato,r top housing and took the thermostat out. DO NOT USE WATER it reaches a different temperature.

Had the same problem....easy fix but took the long road to find it....everybody told me it was the water pump.....wrong....it's the radiator....even though its flowing through the outer piping and it's not leaking, the center cooling channels are blocked......the center channels are too fragile to back flush....replace the radiator....problem solved

CLR run through cooling system for two days drain and flush w water will remove calcium and other rust based deposits w/o damage to vital components. Used on my 86 300zx that had blocked passages in rad and heads.

10

My car had the same exact symptoms beginning nearly two years ago. My mechanics diagnosed a blown head gasket. Since I personally do not have to drive great distances, and want to hold onto my 2004 Chrysler Sebring until it no longer drives, I have come to adjust my driving habits to make this happen. Along the way, I have discovered a few gems. Firstly, I've used the Bar Leaks Headgasket Repair additive in my overflow reservoir (as there is no cap on the actual radiator). That helped to keep the boiling of the reservoir down to a minimum. But, that said, I had to keep my car local, driving at speeds of 55 mph or less, and not using the A/C (I live near Atlanta, GA so it gets HOT here in the summer). Anyhow, my husband discovered that the bleeder valve had a leak, He replaced that. I also saw a YouTube video where a man said that my particular car had a problem with the tiny tube of the reservoir getting clogged up, and how to clean it out. Well, I just decided to buy a new reservoir and see if that made any difference. I think I paid a bit over $50 for it online. Anyhow, since those two relatively inexpensive replacements (I think the bleeder valve was around $45 online), my husband used YouTube videos to guide him how to replace them (he is not a mechanic). Now my car runs GREAT! No more boiling! I have driven my car on the interstate! Not even any sizzling coming from the radiator overflow reservoir! The problem might not be a blown head gasket afterall. (Also, my car does NOT blow white smoke from the exhaust pipe, which I understand is an indication of a blown head gasket.)

10

Homie check your water tank and lines before u start engine checking

I have a 2.7 2004 sebring touring. My cousin was driving it and it over heated it was discovered there as absolutely no coolant in the car they added a jug later that week it over heated again. this weekend my husband with the aide of a friend and a haynes manual replaced the thermostat it was the factory part, when the removed it they decided to bleed and then flush out the cooling system also. It is now boiling over about ten minutes after we drive it. They have added more water and then they began to add coolant. I have now added two jugs of cooalnt last night we took the car out and tested it and for about thirty mins it was good then it started to overheat again. So my husband put another half a jug of coolant in it. They think it is possibly just boiling off water, We have checked everything for leaks and ther are no puddles around the car or noticable leaks, the water pump is working fans are all kicking in car actually heating better since they replaced the thermostat, my question is what else could this be and also does anyone know how much coolant my car will hold?

10

Migration my chrysler Sebring is doing all you was asking burning smell and over heating and I changed the thermostats and , reservoir container

I've done everything that you guys did on top but it's still not fixed the Border in the reservoir 2004 Sebring 2.4 what next ? HELP !!!