how reliable is the 2.4 liter engine

Asked by Jan 26, 2013 at 01:54 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX

looking at a sebring 2004 112000 miles looks great on the outside just want piece of mind

Well, it has a belt not a timing chain, that needs to be kept up with, but they went non interference in 2001 at least. But 112,000 is not end of life.

6,965

The engines were fine... No more or less problems than most other economy car engines. About the same amount of maintenance as a honda engine but built with a little less quality. The real problem with these cars were the transmissions. If you buy the car, make sue the transmission is shifting fine and immediately get the fluid changed -- Not flushed.

27,145

Absolutely NOT a fan of Chrsyler or Dodge products at ALL...I would HIGHLY recommend staying away from this Sebring (I had an '03 Sebring as a company car once...no choice in the matter and it was troublesome..same with the Dodge Intrepid...electrical nightmares ffrom hell with that car!) and would STRONGLY suggest that you look at Consumer Reports ratings on ANY New or Used Car that you are considering...doing this has saved me money AND my sanity and have given me peace of mind over the years!! I just looked up the 2004 Sebring and Consumer Reports rated EVERYTHING bad on this car (Including the Engine & Tranny)...only exceptions were: Power Equipment and Audio System....pretty sad, huh?

6,965

Hahaha yes!!! You're right smoothpoppa! Chrysler products are awful!

20

I have a 1999 Plymouth voyager van with 308k miles on factory engine. The water pump seized and stripped the timing belt. Had to buy a new dipstick, and change oil and filters. other than that not many problems, knock on wood

60

the biggest problem is the lack of maintenance. I have dodge products all my life and if you change the oil on time and do your maintenance you will have no problem. beating the shit out of any car and not maintaining it with cause premature failure.

30

Ok whatever that's why I own a 2004 Chrysler Sebring 2 door coupe and never have had a problem with it andI race it people in it every chance I get so I dog the hell outta this car.don't listen to any of these guys Chrysler makes excellent vehicle s Nd the Sebring is one of them.. mine handle s 130mph without a single vibration and u can whisper and still hear yourself it's a great car

40

we had 228,000 miles on our 2005 Chrysler Sebring when we had to put another engine in it completely worth the money to know it has so much more life in it until I have to buy another car.

60

suck my nuts

60

one at a time

30

I bought a program 2001 Sebring 4-door 2.4 with 18,000 miles back in 2002. It now has 207,195 and has NEVER needed anything but a battery replacement after 10 years, and, of course, tires. I have always had routine maintenance done on the 5k marks. I am almost 62 y/o and have owned a car lot and many personal cars over the years. This, without reservation, is the best automobile I have owned.

10

My late wife's car. She bought it new from Withnel dodge in Salem,Ore. and now has 59,500. Routine maintenance at the Dodge dealer isn't cheap so took it to Ace Automotive in Salem where they do mostly business vehicles. About twenty percent cheaper than the dealer and they(take their time) and do a good job. It's a 2000 Stratus with the 2.4 ohc dual, sixteen valves(makes me nervouse) and fuel injection.

50

I'm thinking about getting a 2008 Chrysler Sebring Sedan 4 cylinder with 96,,000miles asking 7,000 4 it is it worth it or a waste of my time.. don't know how good they run engine..tran..ect..it looks good in very good cond,,just don't know if its worth it and how long it will last me before trouble start with this car..Can someone let me know if 2008 Chryster good cars.. or not.

20

my 1999 Chrysler voyager is consuming a lot of fuel. what do you think I should?

10

the 2.4 ltr that's powering 2913 dodge avenger has timing chain?...that's what I thought it had....chain...

yes timing chain....not a belt....