cheap horses........

5

Asked by Dec 13, 2009 at 08:08 PM about the 2002 Ford Mustang GT

Ive got a Mustang GT. its an 02 and its stock other than some mean exhaust ive put on it.  whats a good cheap way to squeeze some significant horses from my pony?

125

long tube headers tend to make pretty significant responses with the 4.6 SOHC. The Bullitt intake is also a pretty nice upgrade. Not so much in the RAW power gain, but that it makes moe consistent power throughout the RPM range of the engine. Aside from that Nitrous Oxide is always a cheap bet with power, just make sure that yer not giving it much more than a 50 shot on an othewise stock engine since anything more than that could prove to be the premature demise of your engine. Your heads are pretty much some of the best you can get for that engine anyway. Ford did pretty well with the overall flow of the intake and exhaust ports... what you COULD do is take off the heads and clean them up some with a grinder. Not make the ports BIGGER, just smoot them out. the curvature of the ports themselves should be swirling the air/fuel mixture properly anyway without needing the coarseness of the casting. Underdrive pulleys for your accessories are also pretty cheap and easy to install, but look at the reviews for the kits you consider because certain kits have been known to cause issues with the charging system and your engine's cooling system. Ford Racing you can't go wrong with obvously, since it's basically an OEM part that is made by the guys that made the engine to begin with. From this point on yer looking at pretty extensive modifications to valvetrain and rotating assembly that can get pretty pricey, plus air/fuel tuning. Your factory ignition system will be fine for these mods, as you won't be doing anything really radical just yet. Focus on suspension mods and differential gears from there. Those will REALLY wake up what you DO do to the car. Polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension are nicely reactive and don't remove much of the ride quality from the vehicle at all. I would also recommend '03-'04 Cobra wheels,as they allow for a 275/45 tire size at all 4 corners which will offer you tremendous ammounts of grip over the factory GT wheel size, and they still look great with the car. 3.75 gears are about as short a gear you can get for the differential to maintain decent streetability. Lowering springs with a camber correction kit are also a solid bet and typically aren't too pricey, as well as better sway bars front and back. I recommend stepping up to the cobra units. Brakes I would also recommend the cobra units. They will fit as intended and perform as intended without having to worry about spending tremendous ammounts of money on an aftermarket system that may or may not do what it promises. All of that should make your GT a blast, hope this long rant helps :-).

a new plenum/ throttle body (10-15 rwhp) a professional products typhoon intake manifold (21rwhp), an sct hand held tuner(20 rwhp) for under $1100 the intake manifold is $550, the tuner is $350 and the plenum and throttle body cost about $200. Gears brakes and tires dont do anything for hp. I have 3.73 gears in my '00 which have their pros and cons, great for off the line acceleration, not so hot for rolling start racing. i have 17" cobra R rims fitted with 275 40 17 tires, they still break traction (theyre only an inch 1/8th or so wider than the stock tires) but they are good for cornering. (my car is also lowered 2 inches though as well.) checkout www.americanmuscle.com

15

Just abou the quickest way to get extra horses Kristian is with a cold air induction kit.

35

You should just save your money and check out "Torque tech superchargers" From what I've read, they sound like a good add-on for a 4.6-2V? I thought about going cheap too, but figured that it would be better to wait ti'll I could get something that I'd be really happy with.

try power pullies, programers,chips,93 gas, a shift kit to retain hp lose going to the rear wheels, and thats what i can recall off hand.