headlights

Asked by Sep 18, 2008 at 02:23 AM about the 2002 Ford Mustang GT

The headlights on my 02 mustang gt are yellowing and oxidized, Is there any way other than replacing them, to make them clear again?

95

The headlight can be removed and wetsanded with a very fine grit sandpaper, depending on how bad the oxidation is... you might try buffing them with rubbing compound first.. that will at least help.....the yellowing "DEAD" so to speak ,plastic needs to be removed but in extremely small amounts to avoid scratching the plastic... think automotive clearcoat....Joe -This is extremely common with late 90s and early 2000s Mustangs-

255

hell man i wouldnt even fool with the halogen headlights i would get hid's their alot better.

155

go to www.50resto.com they have a headlight kit there. If your headlights are not too far gone, it should help. But, if they are really yellowed, there really is no hope. That website, also, sells replacement headlights.

50

I agree with mike, i love that site.

55

i had the same problem with my 2000, you can get a kit from murray's or auto zone for $6. it basically comes with 500grit, 1000grit, 1500grit, and 2000grit sheets of sand paper. it also comes with a rubbing compund. just wet sand it and use the compound. dont be scared to do it too hard. that oxidation is a pain to get off. you will definitely know if youre getting close to the good plastic. worst case scenario you get some clearcoat for your mistakes

1,075

and a lot of money....

1,075

i had the same problem with my 96GT it happens i guess... i just replaced the headlights... got a set of nice ultra clear headlights off ebay... BIG difference and i do a lot of night driving and they throw a lot of light there great...

Try toothpaste! It sounds ridiculous but it worked on mine! No joke! - Wet the headlights surface and use a damp cloth to apply the toothpaste in a circular motion for 5 minutes then wash and dry - Wait 5 minutes and repeat the process until the glass begins to clear. I did 3 applications to get the best result! Best of luck!

the fastest and cheapest way to restore your yellowed headlamps is using a trick a detailer once showed me. Take a little brake fluid on a soft cloth and work a small area. It comes off instantly. You may want to go over it again but you should be able to do both headlights in 5 minutes. Try not to let it dry before rubbing or buffing it off and try not to let it get on the paint. You'll thank me for this tip later.