Engine froze I think

Asked by Jul 03, 2014 at 06:51 PM about the 2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

My son drove my mustang and did not check the oil. He came home with a loud noise.
We checked the oil and had to add three quarts. The engine rattled a bit then stopped. He
drove it not even a mile and the engine died and he pulled it over. It would not turn over.
A mechanic said the engine may have froze. What now?

242,445

Three quarts added to full, or that's all you had laying around? Running a motor without any oil will lock the engine up. 3 quarts low you might have done other damage. Time to tow it to the garage and have them diagnose the issue.

40

you have seized the engine need to replace or recond it

67,505

Try this. Remove the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand using the crankshaft pulley. If it turns by hand, it's not seized. But I don't like that rattling you described. There's likely serious damage that's been done. HTH. -Jim

2,485

Js08016 is wright, pull the motor and check the crankshaft bearing, plastic gauge them, then replace the rings, wile you have it disassembled,hone the cylinders and, check the lifters, push rods, and the rockers....then you will at least have peace of mind, and you'll have a pretty much new motor!!!! it's sounds a lot harder then it really is, GO FOR IT,,,,,,,hope this helps