Car is over heating. I replaced the thermostat, but how do I check to make sure the water pump is ok?

105

Asked by May 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM about the 2001 Ford Mustang GT

...a measure of flow...an ongoing battle...if the weep hole at the bottom of the waterpump is not leaking coolant----your pump vanes are going to be okay, if the coolant hasn't been mostly tap-water...you're going to be okay....a rusted coolant jacket would do this...if this is the case, there isn't a whole lot that can be done aside from an introduction of fresh coolant...did you take a look at the condition of the coolant? was it rusty? this may have caused the coolant to slow down till cookin'---- try running without the thermostat for a while and see if it is still overheating...~

375

Disconnect the hose and turn on car.if it is jumping out fast its fine. You might have a clogged radiator.that's my problem.I have the same problem.I checked the thermostat,its good.I have rust around my engine and it gets hot after about 15 min.so I took off hose on top.water gushed out but nothing on bottom.good luck

5

make sure u installed therm facing correctly-- ck radiator if its even 10 % stpped up--will cause o-heat-- aslo is rad fan working

you've already replaced the coolant with a fresh 50/50 mix of dexcool or equiv.?

clooged radiator had not occurred to me, boys-thanks for opening that one up for me...have never seen this personally, but could be this---they are kinda cheap these days with chinese replacements readily available~

375

I was just going by what I am going through with my car. I can drive mine but only for a few miles then it starts getting hot.I'm going to replace the radiator.they are only like $100. Now a question for everyone , can I do it myself or do I need special tools of any kind.

you can do it. "you can do it all night long"----to quote C+C---can you make popcorn without a microwave? do you have trouble putting in a new vacuum bag? are you mechanically inclined? about mechanical things? ever taken the ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery)? confidence man...this is not rocket science...getting a stuck hose that won't let go may be your biggest trouble..recommend an "L" shaped tool (craftsman sells them as a cotter pin remover) but if the hose is stuck and a flood of WD-40 ain't doin' it (will need this for installation)+new "breeze" screw clamps is about as tough as it gets...also successfully plucking the electrical connector at the T- switch without pullin' the wires out---needs a non-chimpanzee effort~

remember to drain the coolant in a responsible fashion...old milk containers with a funnel...plug at the bottom of the radiator...take to autoparts store for recycling....birds drink it and die...we can't have that.~