2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 stalls

Asked by Jul 20, 2015 at 07:58 PM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XL

136890 miles. Vehicle has started to stall after driving say 85 miles highway driving.
Once towed so mech reset codes and gave it back. Drove for 125 miles now exhibiting
same malfunction . I reset codes and got home. Any area I could troubleshoot without a
diagnostic check ?

Have you been keeping up on the maintenance like a tune up, air filter, clean throttle body and idle air control valve or mass air flow sensor depending on which one you have on your vehicle, replace fuel filter, adding fuel injector cleaner to gas tank, oil change and what about the codes having then erased is not going to solve your problems you need to address each code and have fixed appropriately.

Yes for the most part. I inherited this vehicle from son. Last year after rr sparks / wires and other vacuum lines vehicle ran fine. So tomorrow I'll remove panel to top of engine and do some cleaning. Thanks I understand the importance of correcting the codes. Will post on final fix. Always be helpful for the next person. Seems as if Ford didn't do well with this model nine configure well . Lots of issues I read.

I'm not completely clear on your problem. Allow me to ask: How are you resetting the codes yourself? Are you using a scanner tool or just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? If you are disconnecting the battery they are still there? Only thing you accomplished is to put the system back into learn mode. Will the car run ok on short trips, or does the problem only surface if you are on a trip of 125 miles? Did the mechanic tell you what codes the system was throwing? This we have to know. Does the engine just die straight away or does it begin running bad first. When you tuned up the vehicle last were motorcraft plugs and wires used? The 4.0 SOHC engine can be finaky. Have you checked the coil's resistance? This part can be affected by heat.

Well after throughly cleaning throttle body assembly ( removed it from vehicle) the car runs pretty good. Still to come is measure the coil and possibly change a 02 sensor. Got codes for both. But it runs ,idles good and happy ( me) Thanks for your help and good advice. George

Your O2 sensors, even if bad, would not cause the vehicle to run bad. Your vehicle could have as many a four sensors. They are expensive and most auto parts stores will not allow them to be returned.

Correct. It is one of the trouble codes checked by Autozone. I've changed these before on another Ford ( 1997 Ranger ) today I'll be testing coil voltage today for drop. Thank you for your suggestions. Keep you abreast of ongoing findings. And yes, I agree, these Fords are flaky.ha !!! Dealt with Hondas & Toyotas much of my life. George

In the event you need the figures here they are: Primary resistance of coil - 0.3 to 1.0 ohms Secondary resistance of coil - 6.5 to 11.5K ohms Spark Plug wire(s) resistance 5,000 ohms per foot or fraction thereof.

Charles Johnson

I have an 04 Exhibition that stalls only after getting into 3rd gear then coming to a stop. once stall occurs cranks back up and as long as i never get up past first will never stall again. Code says vacuum leak but car idles great and runs great. I just give it a bit of rpm at stops till it gets past its fit and then it is all good. Been doing it a year and i have spent about 1100.00 trying to remedy it. to no avail. a mechanics nightmare and a parts switchers dream.

Best Answer

Resetting the check engine light does nothing for your car. You need to have the codes read and then post them here so we can try to help.

Agree. Resetting is a very short term operation. I changed the thermostat 2 months ago and haven't a ' stalled ' Situation in this time frame. Maybe running too hot than design . I Going with this utill ??? Thanks for your assist. George