why is my 2000 ford explorer 4.0 SOHC 4WD choking and sputtering in hot weather and after an hour of use?

Asked by Jul 28, 2016 at 06:12 AM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XL 4WD

Hi, I have a 2000 ford explorer 4.0 SOHC 4wd, I have had some bad luck with this SUV recently. I cant seem to pinpoint the issue im having. the truck has been choking and sputtering. heres the thing. ive insulated my braided fuel line, I changed my coolant temp sensor, ive changed plugs and wires. I changed the maf, I changed the fuel filter, I changed the o2 sensors and still nothing. now heres the bigger issue. it only chokes after I drive it for about an a hour and its hot out which led me to believe it was vapor lock. but, ive insulated my main line and still nothing. it isn't poping any codes either. yet when its about 90 degrees out and ive been driving for an hour it starts choking and sputtering when I try to accelerate its like its not getting any gas. before hand I popped the p0147 lean combustion code. which led me to change all ive listed and still, nothing. I thought it was the fuel pump or fuel lines but the truck is running just fine within my hour time frame. now im thinking its my pcv valve but I just have no clue and ive been dumping money into it like crazy. I cant get it to pop any codes like I said. I also thought my ignition control module but, its not popping any misfire codes and it doesn't misfire within my first hour of operation or if its cooler out. it takes awhile for it to act up. heres why I figured vapor lock. I traveled to Denver it was around 90 degrees it acted up an hour in. kept choking. I was sputtering back home and when I got to monument the temperature outside dropped significantly and the truck quit sputtering. it went right back to normal after a few hours of sputtering it just stopped. have you ever seen anything like this? what could be the most likely problem? its not a leak in the radiator either I just replaced the radiator as well. I need some help here

14,185

You tested the TPS right? When its heated and misbehaving confirm the fuel PSI at the fuel rail. If Ok, Not, common but its time to check out the EECV computer you need a scanner that can read Data in real time.. electronics are effected by heat. You could just pull the EECV and open it to inspect the PCB and components.

Its on the list of possible problems but, we hooked it up real time as well and nothing was showing. it is registering a higher idol at around 1100 RPM in park as well. so I don't know what could be causing that idol other than the throttle position sensor. or a faulty throttle line. but that's not whats causing my choking. just another issue, minor but still needs to be addressed. give me a best guess here because im sick of throwing money into it for a problem that not getting corrected. and if im gonna drop the tank for a check im just gonna replace the fuel pump anyways while im in there. again the reason I say fuel pump possible is because when I changed the fuel filter black buildup was pouring out of it which leads me to believe theres probably a few other things connected. thanks for the feed back though! deffinitly gonna do the TPS anyways as it was already on my list and for around 30 bucks its just better to be safe than sorry especially over 206,000

22,110

Does it idle high (1100) rpm's when the engine is cold?

22,110

My 99 4.0 OHV was doing the same thing. Cleaned the throttle body and changed the IAC solved the problem.