Have a 2000 Ford explorer first off it shows MAF , but this has been changed along with all other sensors !!! But my husband thought something maybe in transmission due to the fact that it does not kick into passing gear? So replaced a senor there forget the name of that one at the moment. Plus change all fluid etc. NO better ??? When in Drive run at a low rpm an even dies at a stop once warmed up?

Asked by Jan 29, 2014 at 05:59 PM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XL 4WD

21,775

Is the check engine light on now? Give us the codes.

NO.. But when it was on my brother read it an it said MAF senor ?

21,775

Yes but we need the code because that doesn't necessarily mean the maf is bad.

The last part we put on due to a computer reading was a solenoid in the transmission. NO luck with that either.. cost cost cost lol..

21,775

If it won't idle it is a vacuum leak or the IAC is bad. Idle air control valve.

Well if we can get them I'll let you know!! Waiting on some one to bring a tester over.. Thanks , its been awful ..

21,775

Keep us posted.

My husband just said it does not have a code no check eng light .. but the problem is still there.. We have replaced all the things the tester has listed last being the part for the transmission?

21,775

Is the idle the only problem? Try a fuel filter first and if that doesn't help TPS sensor could be bad for no passing gear.

21,775

Is it just the idle you are concerned about?

idle is rough , dies , but husband felt as if it could be in the transmission due to to fact of the passing gear thing?

What is a TPS an where does it go lol. so many senors they take you to the bank lol.

287,195

Did your husband replace the transmission shift solenoid? TPS is throttle position sensor. But you said it only idles bad and stalls when warmed up, correct?

21,775

Replace the IAC idle air control valve.

I'll have to ask him Mark an get back with you ... Thanks tho , an I'll tell him also about the IAC thing. He has replaced so many things? I'll get back with you.

Those two things have both been replace already he just told me!! ?

27,655

By now, a competent Technician could have diagnosed it and maybe even repaired your vehicle. You're just throwing money at it now.

A Technician put it on the machine testing it an could not find it ? One trip to a dealer would have cost what we have spent for one item. But Thanks!

27,655

Then you didn't take it to a competent Technician. You should get your money back and take it to a professional. Look for an ASE Certified Technician.

21,775

Where did you buy the IAC? I would recommend one from ford. Fords can be very touchy with electrical components. Have you checked for vacuum leaks by spraying brake cleaner around the engine? These are also known for the o rings in the upper and lower intake sucking them in and brake cleaner, propane, will NOT pick it up. Try spraying brake cleaner fist while it is running and see if it speeds up if not pull the upper & lower intake and replace the O-rings /gaskets/bolts.

Mark thank a million, I'll ask him in the morning about the IAC an the other stuff you mentioned , tho I think he did check for the leaks as you ask. Someone he know is also bringing over another machine that checks engine an transmission both? So still on the hunt ... Thanks for the input ...