I HAVE A 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING, w/ Mitsubishi 2.4 liter engine. It has recently started to to idle real high at startup, then quickly go back to normal. Twice now it has stalled when at idle . It chokes a few times, then dies. What is causing this? I have cleaned out the IAC valve but nothing changed. Could this valve be bad, or could it be something else?

35

Asked by Oct 12, 2014 at 09:39 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring Limited Coupe

when starting the idle revs pretty high, then goes back to normal twice it choked and
stalled

695

Have you looked for vacumn leaks? Is youe engine light on?. How many miles on car? Does it do it more when engine is cold or warmed up?

35

No the engine light does not come on, 135,000 miles are on it it only does it when starting the car when it is cold it runs great otherwise

35

I did check for vacuum leaks there are none, I cleaned the IAC valve but no change

695

Did you clean the throttlebody?Try tapping on the iac when car is running. If the idle changes the iac is probably bad. Also check your exhaust flow at the tailpipe when you 1st start it. Rev the gas a couple of times. If you can feel it blowing out. Check it again after the engine has been running at operating temperture. If all you feel is heat at the tailpipe then replace your catalytic converter.

695

Double check for vacumn leakswith a can of brake clean. Do not spray alternator.

695

I almost forgot, your vehicles map or maf sensor could be faulty. I can't remember which one your vehicle uses. Thanks to the meds I take to keep me functioning. My memory has taken the largest hit.

35

My engine light came on finally and the code is P0300 says its misfiring. it sputters and dies now when I take foot off gas.

695

P0300, multiple misfires if I'm remembering right. If that's the case then you have more than 1 cylinder misfireing. If that code is for a certain cylinder. Swap coil pack with a different cylinder and check codes again. If code changes to the other cylinder. Then you know that coil is faulty. I been working on my neihbors 03 deville since 8am and boy it's to damn hot. So bear with me. Was there any other codes? I also asked a few other questions on this problem. Check all your ignition components for damage. I'm drawing a blank here. Check plugs for ware an if you have coil packs with just a ignition boot check for any kind of damage. Please try the other stuff I posted on this post. I really wish you lived in tampa because I would have had you rolling down the highway. You might have to take it to a honest garage or to your dealership.

35

If you drive your vehicle while its misfiring the way it is will that in turn ruin other sensors or just other parts in general? and also what does P0102 code mean?

695

The only 2 things you really damage while drive with a misfire is your gas mileage & your pride. But if you just ignore it and keep driving it eventually it will shut down. I'll do some looking on that P0102 code. For some damn reason I'm drawing a blank.

What's weird is it pulled these codes at first p0106 & 01/03 now it's pulling only p201 and nothing else! Now what?

695

3 out of 4 of the codes are for Mass Air Flow issues.p0101,p0102,p0103. The p0106 is a MAP performance issue. Here is the website, engine- codes.com From what I can tell from your codes the problem is you r Mass Air Flow sensor dirty or faulty. When pulling codes from any vehicle you always start with the 1st code it reveals. Check wiring connections at MAF sensor. This sensor should be between air filter and the throttlebody that's connected to the intake manifold. The other code mention is the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor which is usually mounted on the intake manifold plentum. Since the only code that you found when you last pulled codes was the p0102. I would replace the MAF sensor. My 91 I-Roc Z/28 Camaro used a MAF sensor. It when bad and it behaved like your description of symptoms. They can be very exspensive so you might want a second opinion. I hope this finally does the trick. GL

Thank you so much!

695

Your welcome, btw that p0300 is random misfires on all cylinders. Hopefully MAF sensor cures that as well. It's 5am here, time for morning meds and a nap.