Car won't start

Asked by Mar 08, 2014 at 10:06 AM about the 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

I sat in my car for 20 minutes with the engine off waiting for my son. When I went to start
the car, it wouldn't start. The brake pedal was very hard and the steering whelp wouldn't
was locked.  I read somewhere that I had to jump the car. We did and it started right up.
But now I'm afraid to sit in the car without the engine running.

159,255

If you were listening to the radio or had any of the interior lights on they could have run the battery down enough for it not to crank. Might want to have your battery tested it could also be about time for a new one.

150

Yes i have a 2009 nissan altima and it want start i have tryed jumping it off and it want start

150

Im waiting on a answer

540

Just had this issue with brake pedal being hard to move and my steering wheel was not locked. This happened once before and I couldn't remember how I fixed it. Called Nissan, called my regular car place, neither were any help. Tow guy came and started it in 30 seconds. Here's the hack: While in park, press the gas and the brake at the same time as hard as you can (to the floor) then push the start button while holding them down. You may need to lightly start to release the gas but keep your foot on the brake and it starts right up. He said it's common and from moisture on the engine. My car had been sitting for a week while I was away on biz.

320

This absolutely work l I have a 2012 Nissan Altima and my car wouldn't start it kept saying break so I called someone and they told me to press on the break as hard as I can press on the car to start button and it keep holding both together. The engine kept trying to start I keept pressing on it until it started and lo and behold it did I waited 15 minutes before moving

120

I have a 2017 Nissan Altima Sr and my break locked up after putting the car in park. Steering wheel was locked as well. THIS WORKED!!! Pressed down on both at the same time then pushed the ignition button and the break instantly released when the car cranked. Checked my battery and I have acid on both sides so will be cleaning that off ASAP!!

50

Wow it worked! What a trick. Thank you all.

40

Yes! Worked for me too. Just now. 08/14/2019. Need to figure out what is going on.

20

I am currently having a similar issue with my 2013 Altima. I have not tried the above remedies, but I have looked a little on you tube. I am thinking it could be a break switch issue. Hopefully that is all it is since it is a minimal cost part and easily replaced.

50

Tried the hard brake and gas trick but no luck. My battery shows voltage and it runs up above 13v when car jumped and running smoothly. Just got the Nissan official brake switch on Amazon for 24$. Trying that out soon. Wish me luck!!

40

Did not work. What else

50

Same issue 2014 Altima, car had me stranded in Ohio and I am from New Jersey. Thank God the brake/gas method did start my car this morning. I have to do something, thinking about trading car in, don't know what to do. I am a single mom and really need a RELIABLE car to get to work.

10

Also try checking your battery. I checked later and there was acid on my connectors so there was not a full connection being made to the battery.

20

What if the brake switch thing doesn’t work nor dies pushing both pedals work?? It went dead while driving. Now what even jump off..

Same happened to me none of the remedies worked for my 2009 Altima but I hope it works for you. Also there is a key fob hole to the left of the steering wheel and that might help. Didn’t help in my case but it might in yours. I did take it to a shop the last time this happened, 2 weeks ago, and they fixed it for 300$ but it happened again. So goodluck. ♥︎

Dump Nisan and get a Toyota or a Honda. I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Murano SL. The first time was Dec. 5, 2018, replaced the battery and all went well until about three weeks ago. I went shopping and when I was ready to leave I noticed right away that the brake pedal was hard to depress, in fact, it wouldn't go down at all and the car wouldn't start. On my second try everything went back to normal without doing anything different. The same thing happened last week almost an exact replay and then after stopping for gas several days later the same thing happened only this time I had to get a boost and that worked just fine. I had it checked out at my garage and they couldn't find anything wrong after doing several different tests. Two days have past and it hasen't happened again but I did buy an Imazing IM23 Car Jump Starter 15V 1500A Peak 12000mAH in case it happens again. Our previous car was a Nisan, Altima SL and I will say that my wife and I did like that car but our experience with the Murano (leaking transfer case) and our interaction with Nisan has proven to be very disappointing, needless to say, there will be no more Nisans for us in the future.