What could cause vibration at 1800 RPM in a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5L

20

Asked by Jan 15, 2013 at 01:50 PM about the 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL with 85K miles. It has a strong vibration around 1800RPM. The vibration starts at about 1400 - 1500 RPM and is noticable until you hit >2000RPM. Only feel it when the car is in gear. Nothing in park or neutral. The vibration remains constant regardless of the gear the tranny is in. You can feel the vibration when accelerating or decelerating as long as it goes through the 1800 RPM area.
I have had all motor and transmission mounts checked, transaxle assembly and the transmission replaced (under warranty) with no improvement. The dealer is telling me it is a balance shaft and that I need to replace the engine for $6000.00

Does this diagnosis sound correct?

1,175

Get another opinion from a shop that works on Nissans. Also check your tires from abnormal wear. It could be a bad tire.

495

Considering it's every gear and acceleration and deceleration, I'm thinking something w/ the driveshaft or in the driveline somewhere. But I agree w/ gustang. Get another shop to examine the car. $6K is a lot, even for a 4 year old car (for what it's worth, kbb.com rates '08 Altimas b/w $8,000 and $9,500).

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Hi Al_S I am experiencing same issue with my 2005 3.5L Altima, did you find out what the issue is and how to fix it?? Thanks,

5,355

Cannot be balanceshaft or you'd feel it in nuetral and park as well. Is it only certain rpm it happens or do you need to be at certain speeds as well??

10

yes it is at a certain rpm between 1400 to 1900 rpm no matter what the speed is. I read a lot about this but no reasonable answer to fix it. Many car owners suffer from same symptoms on different models.

5,355

Definitely not the engine. The right axle has a bearing half way between the right wheel and where it comes from the tranny they act weird sometimes. But I think the most likely issue is the torque convertor, From the description it sounds like the most likely reason for that. When they replace the tranny at the dealer they use the old torque convertor and if that's the problem it would do it at certain rpm's but only if it's engaged (car in gear). Drive it for about 25-35 minutes then stop in a parking lot somewhere and put it in gear, hold brakes to floor, and load engine until rpm's won't go any higher, write down how many rpm's it stops at and whether or not you get a vibration then let me know what it is I'll look up specs and maybe that's the issue. If it's not too far over warranty they might replace it under (goodwill) especially if they overlooked it when they replaced the tranny.

20

Thanks for the input. The problem was resolved by replacing motor mounts. Had all replaced at once so not sure exactly which one it was. Car is running fine

10

Hi, Thanks all for responding, Robert, I tried what you described and the RPM sat at 2350 rmp. Please advise. I will consider too changing the motor and auto tranny mounts. thanks

10

Hi Robert, do you know the rpm spec for my model car. The rpm reached about 2350 and the car was vibrating a lot at this engine speed. thanks,

240

ill sell u one 4 500 the dealers get them from me 602 997 0906

9,825

Check your front struts.they may be bad,,mine were on my altima. same symptoms..i replaced both rides like a cloud

20

I have a 2008 and my car vibrates when I have my foot on the brake anyone know what it is. I replaced the axles but it wasn't the problem the mechanic said he put on new motor mounts and is still doing it so I had him replace one that shattered and put my old ones back on. Need your help asap

70

I have a 2015 Nissan Altima with 45000 km and I have a vibration it's starts at 1800 rpm and stop at around 2000 rpm.. no ideal why!!

20

Catalytic Converter. i have a 2009 altima, and worried that might be the case. i get a low vibration/growl around the same RPM as the original poster.

30

Aimie, I just took my 2015 Altima for the same issue and they said it is normal, with that type of transmission.

20

my 2013 Nissan Altima makes that same horrible vibration and the dealer told me its normal. I say bs because it has got worst over the last couple months

50

i bought 2016 Altima S. Vibration coming from cup holder, seat and door . i will contact the dealer.

50

Dealer told its CVT Transmission - its Usual . headache

30

My friend has the same thing and Autozone diagnosed it as intake valve timing control solenoid for about 100$ and his dad did some research and said it could be something to do with the oil?? So dads getting oil changed and we are going to replace the solenoid tomorrow, will let you know....

I'm having the same issue with my 2008 2.5 S Altima, 120K miles. It's almost exactly at 18K rpm when accelerating or decelerating. I have replaced the torque mount several times and it doesn't last at all , the last one lasted for like 5 days and now has a tear on it. The mount underneath the battery looks pretty bad. The other mount, the one right next to the torque mount looks fine. Also the one on the rear of the engine looks good. I have also noted that there are other supports that got to the chasis, I don't remember how many but I have a couple in the front. No idea of what those are called

I have a 2015 Nissan altima that at around 1800 rpm did the same thing. I bought my car used and took it back to them. They researched and found that shims needed to be put in where the exhaust connects in the front end. Since they did this the vibration has stopped but my exhaust seems to be louder.

My best friend just bought a 2017 Altima with only 5,000 miles from a reputable dealer whom I myself have bought 14 vehicles from, with this problem they claim it is perfectly normal. No manufacturer is going to produce a transmission designed to shake. I myself am personally going to the companies owner and ensuring he replaces if need be the entire drive-train. At that cost they will figure out a way for Nissan to resolve this problem for my friend. I am fortunate enough to have established this relationship with the large company that my words will not fall upon deaf ears. I do understand many of you do not have the ability to communicate and get results from each dealer. Buy $150,000 worth of product a year and let them know you and all your associates will go elsewhere and that seems to help