How can I tell if the 02 sensor is bad in my 2004 Chrylser Sebring

Asked by Oct 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible

My car has started stalling when I come to a stop. I had the 02 sensor replaced several years ago because of the exact same problem. So how can I tell if the 02 sensor is bad.

Tom Harmon

Plug an OBD (On board Diagnostic) into the socket under the dash and it will give you the signal it's sending to the car's computer (ECU) If the signal is around .4 to .5 (Point 5 is 1/2 volt) it should be OK

Why didn't the CEL come on? A bad O2 sensor should fire a code and that would get the driver's attention I think. Yeah ... get it scanned since the CEL bulb might be in-op. .... (you didn't say whether it went through it's test parity illumination check when you first start the vehicle). More info!

Best Answer
Tom Harmon

The O2 can be at the "Threshold" of a trigger (.3 to .6 but can depend on Sensor or algorithm) and not throw a code However it will effect the engines performance even though no code is present; Be aware that once a CEL is displayed the ECU will Default the engine setting to "Rich" ...resulting in poor mileage and performance

Tom.... right. I just found it odd about "stalling at a stop" and thinking it might be O2 sensor. If default to open loop b/o bad O2 sensor, the CEL should be lit. Either way, pulling a history-code would answer that. Something's very odd here. There was no statement of over rich exhaust, which could be a cat-killer.

Okay sorry for not giving enough info, the check engine light is NOT on. The car cranks up and it idles just fine to start out with but when I put it into drive and take off it's like I really have to give it a lot of gas to make it go & then when I come to a stop it stalls out.

In the order of the mega-problems I've seen in this vehicle.... the fuel pump, if it's putting out insufficient volume or low fuel pressure can create symptoms like this, but I'd also check the fuel filter too. I too, am also doubtful that a bad oxygen sensor would/could cause this problem. The engine would prolly go into "open loop", turn on the MIL and just keep on running although at a loss of economy and performance. BTW: does the CEL work at all.... like it comes on at start up but then goes off after a few seconds? That would be a good thing.