my battery light came on and killed my battery

Asked by Jul 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible

I was driving and my battery light came on. I drove an additional 40 miles then the transmission would not shift out
of 1st gear. I pulled over and the car died. I had the alternator checked and it was fine. Put in a new battery and the
light came on again....2004 chrysler Sebring touring 2.7

75

check your battery cables from one end to the other for bad connections and wear marks that could short circuit your connection. also turn your car on and remove the positive cable from the battery and that should tell you 100% if its your alternator dying or if it is 100% good.

Do not disconnect battery w engine running ecm damage will result,this model has alot of very sensitive electronics on board, battery disconnection will cause voltage spikes.I recommend taking it to chrysler as all functions for your car are ecm and bcm controlled.

335

There is a possiblity of the generator checking out good when really it isn't! This occurs when the armiture (the spinning aasembly with all the wire on it) has a few broken wires. The unit will check out good at idle and when reved above 1700 RPM, freeway speeds, it shorts ... by the wires flailing out and shorting to the case laminations, from the armiture, this increases as the RPMs go up. Over a prolonged trip the dash light will come on first then the headlights dim then the ECU and transmission operations are affected. This will continue until enginer runs rough and the battery goes dead.

120

yea im with plurb , its no doubtits yor alternator.....