Joined the Dead Radio Club

Asked by Jul 27, 2015 at 12:52 PM about the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE

My radio died two months ago. Everything was fine then it turned off. Then the rear speaker started to make a loud thumping for 5 minutes. Then the radio came back on again and this scenario repeated itself until all the speakers went out. VW Dealer said the radio is dead, checked the fuses etc. Not on warranty and no recalls. Two weeks later the battery died and then last week my rear trunk latch malfunctioned. To replace the radio it will cost me $900. Are my speakers blown too. And how could I tell?
Not happy with the dealership. But the service woman did state I was the 4th car that month with a dead radio. Not happy with VW. Is there a class action suit yet?

9,845

Well this is defiantly a common issue there is something you can try and is the most likely thing vw will do for that 900$ fixed radio... Push and hold the power button for 15 seconds this does a hard restart of the radio and should fix the problem if you don't have a internal issue with it. If you need a repair and live in the states i would try this place out http://www.shortcircuitrepair.com/vehicles/volkswagen-vw.htm it would likely be cheaper then having vw do it if the reboot does not work.

eurozonetuning.com. They have replacement stereos for under $300 and they are simple to install. Definitely a cost savings alternative to the dealership. Their radios also come with warranty and tech support.