Problem with heated/auto dimming mirrors

Asked by Jan 01, 2010 at 10:55 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica Base AWD

My 2004 has been meticulously taken care of from 0 to 71k. Just recently during a detail I noticed something weird about my drivers side mirror. Im not sure how these auto dimming mirrors work, but when you look at the mirror it almost looks as if there is liquid behind the glass. The mirror is also very foggy. The mirror does clear up when I turn the heated mirrors on, but you can still see what looks to be fluid behind the mirror. Im wondering if this has happened to anybody else and more importantly why this happened? Any information regarding this will be greatly appreciated. Sorry I didnt have time to catch a decent photo either.

I have the same problem with my 2004 Pacifica drivers side mirror. If you found out anything please let me know.

I also have a 04 pacifica with the same problem. Since it has the auto dim built in the dealer wants 270 dollars just for the replacement glass. I found the whole mirror assembly on amazon for 70 dollars but without auto dim. I bought it with hopes that the harness will hook up without any splicing and changing. BTW..... The brown liquid is the chromatic auto dim feature of this mirror which jacks the price up from 40 to 270 dollars. Hope this helps my friend.

OK, You want to know why this happened to your mirror? Autodimming mirros are actually fairly sensitive. If comes as no surprise to me your mirro was showing signs opf the brownish colored liquid inside nor it it a suprise that it becam so foggy you could not see through it. The most likely reason your mirro has gone bad is due to being run through a bush type car wash system. Those rapidly spinning brushes were smashing against the glass with force and likely caught a few of the bruse bristles on the mirror glass. That's all it takes to rupture the chromatic membrans in these mirrors and there is no way to repair it. All you can do is replace the mirror glass, not recommemded without special tools, or replace the entire mirrors (suggested way).

Sorry about the typos, my keyboard is sticking. If you do not understand anything let me know.

Sable is totally wrong. My Drivers side dimming mirror on 1999 Chry TC went bad and has never been in an automatic nor high pressure car wash. They just go bad and replacement is only solution. Now, in 2018, you can't even find Them anymore. Aftermarket ones suck.