why do Chrysler sebrings have such a rough transmission?

10

Asked by Nov 07, 2008 at 10:17 PM about the 2005 Chrysler Sebring Touring

i have a 2005 chrysler sebring, it`s a great car but i noticed that the transmission seems a bit rough sometimes, when i go from stopped to acceralating it feels almost as if it is a manual transmission, even when i put the car in gear, just wondering why this might be? Thanks

7,855

what do you mean feels like a manual? Is it lurching slightly almost clunking as it switches gears or starts moving? This is usually just a symptom of the slip-lock mechanism not working perfectly... (They usually don't)... Technically speaking it does increase shock load on the transmission and increases the likely hood of a failure, but as I said it's normal and in most cases nothing can be done about it... You can try changing the fluid, but it's better just to keep it on it's maintenance schedule in most cases as it is usually just wear and tear and not varnish build-up.

3,035

its a Chrysler lol they have weak trannies.

2,100

Ashley, chances are good that your car has a four speed automatic. They often have trouble deciding if they should be in fourth or third while driving. That transmission has been around for a long time and unfortunately, Chrysler has not had a need to refine it more. Afterall, it isn't available in any real performance cars; so it basically has to just transfer power from the engine to the wheels. Depending upon the actual miles on the car, you may get the tranny flushed, serviced and a new filter and fluid installed. This "might" help it operate smoother. CAUTION THOUGH! If the car has more than 100K miles, the service may create transmission problems. So, it's a "catch 22" situation. Since this is a tuner site, my answer is based upon general info that I know about Chrysler and transmission service. To be certain, go to a Chrysler for and specifically ask about the Sebring. I hope that helped.

10

Hey logan, thanks for your reply, it makes a lot of sense and i feel a lot better now, i found your response very helpful and i thank you. take it easy.