center councel lights do not work unless the radio is on

10

Asked by Jan 05, 2013 at 12:17 AM about the 2012 Ford Focus SEL

The center councel lights were working untill 2-3 months ago.
When driving one night with the radio off, she pushed the solt right button on the councel and the center
lights went out and we coundn't get then on again.
They work wen the radio is on.

61,345

Shouldn't that be covered under your new car warranty? I noticed it's a 2012 model. Note, Ford's new car warranty transfers automatically to a second owner who buys the car during the warranty period. HTH. -Jim

26,415

jim is right. your bumper to bumper warranty is 3yrs-36000 so if you have less than 36000 miles you should take it to your dealer.

10

I understand that it's under warrenty. The dealer couldn't fix the problem. My question is what's wrong with the center consol(?) as it doesn't light up when my headlights on on.

61,345

Most likely culprit would be a light bulb. If there are fiber optics involved, there is a "cord" that light from another bulb passes through to light up your console. Honestly, if it's not a big inconvience for you, take ot to another dealer. Maybe yours hasn't come un against this problem yet because the vehicle is so new. HTH. -Jim

26,415

I really dont know what is wrong with your focus. Unfortunately we wouldnt be able to diagnose you problem over the internet. your focus could be set up in a number of ways depending on the model and the options and without looking at the vehicle i could not tell you with certainty where the problem lies. i have a 2012 sel as well mine has the lcd display in the dash in which the radio and the console illumination and controls are built in to the APIM. some models have a recall in which the APIM is updated to fix multiple functionality issues. if you have the base radio it is set up completely different. it could be a number of things. if it lights up at all that tells you the bulb isnt bad. the dealer is obligated to fix the issue under warranty keep taking it back

10

The dealer tld me they can't help me as they can't find what's wrong. I have now email for directly and if that doesn't work, e-mail directly to the fords execs.

61,345

You should also contact your local Office of Consumer Affairs & file a complaint against this dealer. The dealer has the needed resources to find an answer to your problem. Sounds to me like they don't like doing warranty work. My local Chevy dealer is like that too. Whenever I've had a warranty issue it always turned into a fight. I always wound up calling GMs corporate office & threatened to get my local Consumers Affairs Office involved. Businesses don't want that kind of headache. I don't like being nasty but sometimes it gets the job done. We're not talking about a 10 year old vehicle with 200,000 miles on it. This is a new car & your dealer is required to fix it!! Good luck. Please let us know how you make out! HTH. -Jim