Are the batteries in a 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid have to be purchased at the dealership?

Asked by Feb 03, 2016 at 12:14 PM about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid FWD

My daughter's battery died, and they told her she could only have it replaced
by the dealership. Is that true? People are also telling her she has to have her
oil changed by the dealership because they are not certified to work on
hybrids?

105

The batteries used in hybrids are special as for the oil change a lot of it is different for mechanics and they have to learn about the car and get certified for the new technology so it is probably true and also the best option. A lot of mechanics especially at smaller shops are scared of hybrids because of their systems.

4,435

I agree with chan618 on the oil change, but question the battery issue you are asking about? Did she buy the car new? Have you priced the batteries at both the dealer and elsewhere? I ask, because with a Hybrid, especially with the great variations from Make & Model to Make & Model, why would you risk going anywhere but the dealer? Also, my son purchased a brand new 2013(by the way, rated year for this model), and with his year, the dealer told him FREE replacement batteries for as long as he owns the car.

155

Hyundai warranties the hybrid's batteries for as long as you own the car. Therefore go to the dealer as he will put the correct batteries in and for free. I do my own oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter, spark lugs and other 'normal' maintenance. They are no different than other non-hybrid cars. Saves a lot of costs - if you know what you are doing. Just record what you do when and that should prevent the warranty from being invalidated - I understand that this has been decided in the courts but cannot confirm that.

10

I'm having the same issue right now & have to get the starter battery replaced. It's not the same as a hybrid battery & is NOT covered under warranty. This would be like changing the battery in a regular car. Unfortunately, they are quite a bit more expensive than a "regular" battery. Seems like there's no recourse.

10

batteries plus has the battery $100 less than the dealer but it takes three days to get it because they have to order it. we are talking about the 12 volt battery.

30

I just bought what was advertised as a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid starter battery at $122 total from Batteries Plus. While putting it in my car I discovered this battery is meant for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata not the hybrid. The positive and negative are backwards and the vent plug does not fit. I called BP and they told me they do not have the hybrid batteries (Just like everybody else). I will be going to the dealership and shelling out about $330 as the time wasted is now not worth the savings of finding it elsewhere. FYI

Actually Hyundai only warranties the hybrid battery, not the starter battery for life. She needed the starter battery. The difference is about $250.00 at a dealer.

My dealership offers BOGOs on oil changes and sends me coupons on other maintenance. Their prices on maintenance is very competitive and they are very competent. We bought our Sonata at a different dealership, a couple of months later my husband lost his fob; getting it replaced where w e bought the car, we ended up driving farther, taking off work, paying $100 upcharge, being treated like dirt. Never will return their! Point is that all Huydai dealerships are the same so shop for better prices and service.

90

All Hyundia Hybrids to 2017 use a 12V battery to run the computer, NOT start the car. No computer, no start. Stupid dealers ! It is a very strange battery only available ordered and shipped to your home or the store. They don't carry them in stock. It is a AutoCraft Gold BATTERY-GOLD ATOCF H6R. The R stands for reversed terminals. This is an exact match and made in Korea. Yes, you can jump start the 12v in the trunk, the terminals are marked. The batteries last some 5-6 years as they DO NOT start the car and only run the 12V accessories and are away from the heat. This battery has the hole for the battery vent. Also, NO ONE gets their oil changed at a dealer, unless they are cheap. I would highly suggest buying the correct Hyundai oil filter and give it to the oil place each oil change. There is a plate on the bottom with some 10 screws that have to come off to get to the oil and filter. There is NO legal requirement to use the dealer. Keep your receipts.

20

battery shown above is $170 at advance auto parts versus the $400 the dealership wants.