Are the batteries in a 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid have to be purchased at the dealership?

Asked by Feb 03, 2016 at 12:14 PM about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Base

My daughter's battery died, and they told her she could only have it replaced
by the dealership. Is that true? People are also telling her she has to have her
oil changed by the dealership because they are not certified to work on
hybrids?

95

The batteries used in hybrids are special as for the oil change a lot of it is different for mechanics and they have to learn about the car and get certified for the new technology so it is probably true and also the best option. A lot of mechanics especially at smaller shops are scared of hybrids because of their systems.

3,125

I agree with chan618 on the oil change, but question the battery issue you are asking about? Did she buy the car new? Have you priced the batteries at both the dealer and elsewhere? I ask, because with a Hybrid, especially with the great variations from Make & Model to Make & Model, why would you risk going anywhere but the dealer? Also, my son purchased a brand new 2013(by the way, rated year for this model), and with his year, the dealer told him FREE replacement batteries for as long as he owns the car.

115

Hyundai warranties the hybrid's batteries for as long as you own the car. Therefore go to the dealer as he will put the correct batteries in and for free. I do my own oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter, spark lugs and other 'normal' maintenance. They are no different than other non-hybrid cars. Saves a lot of costs - if you know what you are doing. Just record what you do when and that should prevent the warranty from being invalidated - I understand that this has been decided in the courts but cannot confirm that.

10

I'm having the same issue right now & have to get the starter battery replaced. It's not the same as a hybrid battery & is NOT covered under warranty. This would be like changing the battery in a regular car. Unfortunately, they are quite a bit more expensive than a "regular" battery. Seems like there's no recourse.

10

batteries plus has the battery $100 less than the dealer but it takes three days to get it because they have to order it. we are talking about the 12 volt battery.