What is the active air flap system

Asked by Nov 26, 2012 at 02:34 PM about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid FWD

1,235

Hyundai says that the Sonata Hybrid is good for 36 miles per gallon in the city and 40 mpg on the highway, and the high-tech battery pack is only a portion of that story. The company's engineers have also rolled in a host of tricks to keep the fuel-economy numbers as high as possible, including what they call an "active air flap" behind that gaping hexagonal inlet in the front fascia. At low speeds, the flap is open to assist in cooling the gas engine, but once the vehicle speeds up, the flap closes to decrease the Sonata Hybrid's coefficient of drag by as much as 10 percent."

400

Hello my name is Rafael , I get a warning on my 2012 Hyundai sonata hybrid screen that say " check active flap system" and my engine light is on. So my questions are . Are those 2 thing related each order ?. Do you think if I keep running like that , this could be affect my car with one more problem ?

120

Where can i locate air flap system for hyundai sonata hybrid 2012

60

I had same problem "Open Active air flap system" i went to dealer and they told me the price of $1672 so i did not fixed there because the price is crazy high so i am still driving it i did 6000 miles on it since the light came on . Make sure you check if its open if its open not much harm but if its closed your in big trouble your will start heating up after a while and you will feel car starts messing up

70

Where those flaps are?

30

What did you all do? Should I sell my first born and fix a flap or is there another solution?

30

My check active air flap system light came on is there anything that I can do to open the flaps myself on a Hyundai Sonata hybrid

60

If your flaps are closed just open them up by putting your fingers between them or use some kind of stick and pull down from top . If you don't know where are the flaps located just look thru your bumper grills . Also if you can afford a active air flap system for $150-$200 please buy it i bought my from eBay and if you need my help installation I'll definitely help it's very easy I did it by myself . Malik.kaan81@gmail.com

60

Some pics of "Active air flap system"

Thank you very much guys, I got the same problem ,I will try to fix my self.

Thank you guys for sharing this information, I will try to fix my self. I will post it later.

60

Search on eBay and look for the seller named "four greens" he's selling the active air flaps very cheap I think around $146-148 keep searching until you seen this kind of price why because the dealership will charge you 4 times the price I'll try to upload the photos so that way you guys can see where to buy. If anyone needing my more help please check my previous messages there's a email where you can ask questions

malik sb i ordered from ebay same part u mentioned for 147 dollars . regards farooq chaudri plz call me 7739645584.

Can some one tell me how to manually open the flaps without having to remove the grill