2005 Pacifica heater goes from hot air to cold.

Asked by Dec 02, 2011 at 09:05 AM about the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica Touring AWD

My wife's Pacifica heater, when the car is fully warmed up, will only put out hot air for a minute, then slowly (15 seconds or so) goes to cold air.  If you turn off the digital control, wait a few minutes and turn it back on, you can repeat the process.  Any ideas?

95

Please remember these Pacificas have A/C filters (HEPA I believe) and they can get clogged if not changed. A clogged filter will greatly reduce the amount of air blowing through the system and into your vehicle. Check the filter and have it replaced if necessary. I cannot confirm this but it may have something to do with the hot vs. cold air issue as well. You should ask your mechanic if this is something you are experiencing. Be sure the mechanic is one who is familiar with Chrysler vehicles, we have found most home garage mechanics dont know squat about cars built in the past 15 years so buyer be ware of the mechanic you choose. As hard as it is to swallow paying the extra money for a mechanic who is trained to work on your vehicle will actually be less costly in the long run. Once we stopped trying the cheap path to auto repair we found we are replacing fewer things on our autos and they are running better and longer between repairs now.

Had exact same problem. Heater was great then changed the alternator and this issued started. Re-calibrated the controls without improvement. Even though the temp gauge was not hot I checked the radiator. It was well below the cold line fill mark. While cold I filled up the radiator to the cold fill line and the heater is working great again. Total cost $9.00 with a funnel to keep from spilling.