Speedometer not functioning

50

Asked by Dec 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM about the 2011 Toyota Corolla LE

I got into a minor accident and took my car in to get fixed at a local
mechanic. After I picked it up there were several lights on. My ABS light,
power steering, check engine light, traction control light, as well as my
break light are all on. My speedometer and odometer are both not
functioning. The RPMs are also running pretty high and slightly erratic. The
two codes that come up are p0500 and p1604. I figured It was the front
right wheel speed sensor (since thats where got hit) but I replaced it and
that still didn't fix it. Any ideas? The only other thing I'm getting online is
maybe the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

146,465

You took it to a terrible mechanic. OK, first whenever the DTC, (Diagnostic Trouble Code) system or OBDII (Onboard Diagnostics) detects a fault in the drive train the ECU, the computer, will automatically shut off the TRAC ( Traction Control) system so no non driver input is applied to TRAC, such as brake or power to any wheels, which is what TRAC does. I need a minute to look up those codes, BRB

146,465

P0500 means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working properly. And loss of ABS. Now, P1604 does not exist. I looked at 4 different sites that are reputable and and none list it, or just say "not found". Give me a few minutes to do some research, Corollas are my specialty.

146,465

The main VSS is on the transaxle. This image will go full screen, click on it.

146,465

Now, there are are wheel speed sensors, as shown here. My suggestion is contact your insurance, hopefully you carry full, comprehensive coverage and sic them on that so-called mechanic. Shop. I know it's easy for me to say, but you should have never accepted the car from the shop like that. It needs much more work, accident minor or not. They (the mechanic) it sounds like he just made it worse. You do not deserve to be treated this way, it irks me to hear it. May I ask why you replaced the wheel speed sensor yourself, or do you mean you had it replaced? And I'm not done. Check back later or tomorrow here.

146,465

Just one more thing before I go. Were you hit by another car right on a wheel? If so, which wheel? And speed of impact? Please describe accident in detail, for my research. Thanks

50

First off, I appreciate the help, and especially how quickly. The only reason I even left the shop with it is because he seemed to have no idea what he was doing when I asked him about that. He seemed knowledgeable about everything else but with the lights on he seemed stumped. And they weren't on when I dropped it off there, so I kinda just cut my losses and went elsewhere. I just didn't really trust him to fix that. I only replaced the WSS myself because after looking it up it was pretty easy to do myself. A good buddy of mine who knows more than I do, though not enough for this, walked me through it. Piece of cake really. The code was definitely P1604. I looked right at it and wrote it down immediately. The only thing I've been able to find is "startability malfunction" which makes no sense and I can't seem to find anything more on it.

146,465

http://corolla-club.ru/doc1/413e7ad0f326502bb086e4fe557b27e3.html

50

As far as the accident, I just fell asleep and hit a guardrail. Impact was right in front of the wheel. Mostly cosmetic damage and a messed up rim and a bent strut. (At least that's what the mechanic told me).

146,465

This DTC is stored if the engine does not start or continues to crank without starting for a certain period of time. This DTC is also stored if the vehicle has run out of fuel. It is necessary to check whether there was enough fuel in the fuel tank before performing this inspection ---- nonsense to me. I really will look in to this

146,465

You did the right thing by getting you car away from that grease-monkey. This stuff happens, dozing off and drifting off in to guard rail. I just have to admit, I have a Corolla and have studied them, and you got me awake tonight!

50

My instinct tells me the P1604 is probably just caused by whatever my other issue is. From everything I've read, I'd think its my VSS. However, I don't see that being damaged by what happened. I had originally assumed the WSS on the tire that I hit, however that didn't do it. So I'm more or less lost.

146,465

jt20110627 I have not forgotten about you. This one has me stumped. I have asked for help from some really good mechanics I know, and just want you to know that. Have not heard back. Yet. ~~David

50

I appreciate it.

20

Any update in this issue? Is finally fixed or not. I have same problem on my 2010 Corolla after accident on right front.

50

It ended up being a wiring harness gone bad and a bad tire pressure sensor.

20

How much it cost you to fix this issue?

Best Answer
50

The dealership charged me a little over 200. Diagnosing the issue is 100 but they don't charge it If you have them do the repair so it wasn't too bad

20

Thanks for your quick update.

50

No problem man. Good luck

20

And other thing your steering was little stiff too, because I'm feeling my steering is not powered as it was before.

50

Your power steering could be affected if its an electrical issue. Just depends where the problem is. I can't say for sure. That's assuming you have electric power steering. If its older it may be something else

20

Yes, It is 2010 Corolla and has electric power steering.

50

I'd guess its an electrical issue. From what I've gathered from my incident if you have unrelated stuff like that popping up its probably a wiring harness. On corollas if I'm not mistaken they're separated into several sections and any section can get damaged or what have you. You could probably look up how to check all the connections yourself honestly

How can i replace in my corolla 2015 the speed sensor vss