trunk will not open

Asked by meinersluigi Aug 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM about the 2012 FIAT 500 Sport

we used car all day yesterday with no problems at all. now this a.m. the trunk will not open with/without remote.  any suggestions??? i can't find a release in trunk going in thru back seat???

370

Both doors must be unlocked for total trunk access. If you only unlock the one it will only open once.

3,110

With the car running or key on press the close button for 3-5 seconds. Open the top all the way and hold the open button for 3-5 seconds. Close the roof. It will then go through an automatic process of opining and closing the roof. Don't touch it or any buttons while this is happening. When it's done, your roof and trunk will work properly!

280

spent £50 pounds on second hand boot switch, didnt work !! tryed what you said, and worked perfctly, thank you so much Dave!!!

190

Dave answered 10 months ago - I love you!!! It worked you are such a star. it worked :)

200

I attempted to do what Dave suggests but my top won’t do the rest. Any suggestions

230

Dave, I was very pleased to find your seemingly straightforward fix. Unfortunately, not working for me on my 2012 500C. I've tried this with both modes you suggested: car running, or with key just in "on" position. Followed the close & open instructions & await the automatic open/close operation reset you allude to...nada...top doesn't move at all after the initial close. And still unable to open trunk. There is an outside passenger-side "broken" door handle (of the well-known variety). I've unlocked & opened from both outside & inside before attempting the process several times. Wondering if somehow it's reading that door latch -- even unlocked -- as still locked & thus preventing successful operation...??? Any further thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

280

My 2012 Fiat Hatch wouldn't open and I worked on it for 2hrs then by accident I turned on my headlights and my back hatch open - there is a short somewhere in the steering column.

160

I tried what mark said and the final automatic open and close didn’t start. I pressed the closed button for 2 seconds and the automatic process started. Thanks a Mark you are a gemboot opened immediately thanks from Therese in Melbourne Australia

190

Hi all, the wiring in the truck jamb becomes brittle over time and the wires begin to break inside the shielding from constant opening and closing. This is inherent with these vehicles. I had to construct a new wire harness to run from the truck lid into the car. All is well now.

490

Thank you, Dave! Just saved me and my 2012 500C pop a ton of money on the lift gate!!!!! Worked like a charm!

490

So... just to clarify, I followed Dave’s instructions above and after opening then closing the roof (and holding 3-5sec at the end of each direction) I pressed close again(while roof is completely closed) and then! the automatic process begins! but stops when almost closed... so I waited about 15sec then closed manually. Then shut off the car... and voila! The liftgate now works properly. I think somehow I messed up the liftgate signals when I was jacking around with the roof opening and closing after buying this car a few days ago. Now it’s perfect again. I hope this process helps you also.

140

Thank you all! It needs a new section of harness! The dealer was asking for 1 1/2 hour labour. Al they do is patching! 3 times I went back with the same issue. Chrysler should issue a recall! It's unsafe if in an accident and you can't be pulled out the car from the trunk! I warned INSURANCE BOARD OF CANADA! Good luck!

60

Hi Dave, God Bless Many Thanks Adhil Durban South Africa

70

Dave you are my hero! Boot been jammed for weeks and garage wanted to order 2 new parts and labour ! Would have been $1000 !

50

Dave, this changed my day, my week and my month. I've been talking to different shops about this and was just about to order parts when I tried your move, and voilá: IT WORKED. David, you're an angel and a prophet. Thank you.

370

Dave, my Fiat 500 does not have a roof. The trunk does not open. Help!

110

Having a same problem with my fiat 2012. 500 trunk issues. Took to dealer, $800 later they "fixed" it, trunk opened. This lasted a week and same problem, back to shop, they did "something" and it worked, for another week, now back to shop a 3rd time today and they say they need to replace entire wiring harness for a cost of $2200 on top of the first 800 they charged me. Does it sound like I'm being taken for a ride. Help Dave

210

I’m having problem to open my 2014 fiat 500c trunk. I can’t open manually or with the remote control. I tried Dave’s method and nothing. A YouTube video shows a rod out the place inside the metal part that holds the plate lights was the problem. Should I try to do that or there is a shortcut? Fiat poor design and complicated tools won’t help to solve little problems like this

60

Thank you very much, it worked on mine, what a miracle!

40

Thank you so much Dave you saved me lots of money and time at dealers God Bless you your trick worked on my Fiat 500C 2012

90

Dave, Just to make sure I didn’t totally mess this up...while the car is on, open the roof and then hold the open button for 3-5 seconds...then close and hold the open button 3-5 seconds?

20

Thanks Dave - worked a treat on my 2015 Fiat 500C!! Saved me a trip to the dealer.

20

Dave you are a genius THANK YOU!!! Your instructions worked a treat thank you thank you

10

Dave, Great job! Thank you, it saved me money at a mechanic. The only comment is that after the roof closed, I did have to press and hold the close roof button for a few seconds.

Hi....my Fiat 500 doors and boot stopped working. I changed the fuses and doors now lock/unlock using the key however, my boot remains firmly shut! I can drop the back seat down to release the switch to open the boot but this is an awful 'faff' each time. I have tried sinking the key whilst in the ignition with both car running and off, but alas nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I part with cash! I've already paid £50 at a Halford garage who told me to take to a Fiat dealer....helpful....and a further £10 on a battery for the key! Help/advise pretty please Thank you Julie

90

Hello... Got a used fiat 500 2012. All mint condition but two things: The trunk woldn’t open. Neither the key button now the trunk latch. My car has hard top (sunroof). So not sure if Dave’s option works for me. The second thing is that the sunroof do not open either. If I press the button on the ceiling of the car it does nothing. If I press the close option it sounds (yer the sunroof is close). Any suggestion please?

30

OMG, Dave’s trick saved my ass from paying $400 to get the new sensor for my trunk! Thank you!!! I’ve spent years not being able to open it!

30

Dave's trick totally worked. Took a couple times to get it right, but it worked. Thanks man.

220

I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport model. How do I fix this hatch since I don’t have a roof? HELP!

10

Thanks Dave another satisfied customer - it worked for me. I wish I tried this first as getting the internal boot cover off was ..... I guess you know. Opening works fine.

120

Thanks’ for all your information. It was very clear and useful as well !... I had the same issue on my 2012 Fiat 500 Cabrio. With cut wires in the electrical harness between body and tail gate. After repairing with new wires and connectors, roof sequential motion was OK and plate lighting too... but nothing happened with the tail gate (trunk) handle switch (neither with the remote). (On my car, the 2012 tail gate handle is full electric) FIAT/CHRYSLER dealer's diagnostic was: handle to be replace... (Estimation = 300 $ CAD for the handle assembly + Tax + labor time cost)… WTF ! (I am not any longer confident in FIAT electrical wiring poor quality, and replacing the handle assembly by a new one, would generate same issue in short term) Doing some reverse engineering: I dismantled the whole tail gate handle, until access to the elementary parts and the handle electrical contacts. (A plastic “bottom” housing, with 2 overmolded wires and contacts) - One contact is link to a black wire (and connect all time to the ground) - One contact is link to a blue wire. (but NOT in direct, but through a 1.5 K ohms resistor (1/4 W), (Notice : in order to avoid any unsuitable trunk opening in case of short circuit in the harness, or crash… the BCM (Body Control Module) must not recognize a short circuit contact (0 ohm) with ground, as an opening order). To resume (when re-assembling the housing components) and to test the switch : - Door handle switch not operating is : Open circuit ( ∞ ohm) - Door handle switch pressed : 1 500 ohms between ground (black) and output (blue ) The resistor is not visible as it is covered by black plastic over molding… but, using a precision drill, you can drill and remove it, + drill a larger cavity to put a new resistor in place (and replace the blue wire, if copper aspect is “too dark”) . I suggest to crimp + solder the new components + use new wire… Use a 2 components epoxy glue to fill the cavity, and fully maintain the resistor + wire to the contact and housing ( to avoid any damage from vibration and repeated shocks from the trunk). And here we are: issue fixed for less than 1 $... and 1 hour of your time. Enjoy !

20

I have tried Dave's method, I have tried the method listed in the owner's manual. My roof does not do the automatic thing that everyone else (and the manual) is saying it should. WTF??? I cannot get into my trunk at all except through the seats! It was fine at one stop during my errands and dead at the next. UGH!!! Any suggestions?

120

If the roof doesn't work automatically (auto predefined positions and auto calibration mode), it may come from a combinaison of : - a defective trunk handle switch, (Switch operation : open circuit when depressed, 1,5 kOhms when pressed) - a defective trunk latch actuator (electrical motor) (apply a direct +12 V and see if actuating or not) - a defective harness of the trunk, between body and the trunk components. (search for any short circuit or cut wire...) PLZ do a deep diagnosis of the 3 items. In addition, there is different working strategies of the trunk latch opening and the roof, depending of your car model and year. You should verify what is applicable to your car, before attempting any further investigation.

10

I have a fiat 2012 500 lounge . Just like the others I was out doing errands hatch worked fine. Then BAM!!! I tried Dave's method but the roof doesn't do the auto thing. I tried holding sun roof button how dave described. Is there something I am missing with my vehicle> Another step .. please please someone tell me.

Holly molly Al1Elec you are the best!!!. You just solved my year long misery on my 2012 fiat 500 Abarth. 1.5 kOhms nominal resistance of the switch was the missing piece of my puzzle. Found 33MOhms , took apart ,cleaned it out and BAAM!!... all is good now. I'll sell your answer on fiat500USA forum to spead my joy!!. Thank you again sooo much..

10

Thanks Dave! That neat trick worked a treat on my 500C POP. I followed the instructions and somehow it worked - although the roof only closed three-quarters on the auto-open/close. But the main thing is that it seems to have rebooted itself. I will keep these instructions handy in case it happens again. THANK YOU!

10

@Al1Elec Tks for the resistor trick .... couldnt find a 1.5 k ... put a 2.2 k is working fine :) Rick

120

@Jbone666 : You're right 2.2 k may working fine. (the BCM is requesting a "range of resistors value" and not a single one). Just do notice : - 1.5 k (1/4W) was the original resistor I disassembled. (So the 1.5 k should be the "engineered average value" requested by the BCM) - Temperature, humidity and oxydation on contact surface of the switch will also influence on the globale resistor value... and, if too close or over the upper resistor value limit : It may recreate the trouble. That's why I recommande to keep 1.5k in mind.

Another thank you from a very worried 500c owner! Dave, you are the man! Thank you so much!

Dave is a genius. Tried his simple fix after everyone else was telling me it was the wiring harness. It worked and probably saved me 100's of dollars. Thanks Dave. I owe you.

We have a 2012 Fiat 500c convertible.The boot only opens if the car is running.When the car is off the boot wont open with the key? Is the problem with the key or with the central locking? Doors open and close with the key

120

@Ashley8404 PLZ, can you be more precise with your issue : 1- What do you mean by "boot only opens if the car is running ? (actuating the remote trunk button while +acc ? actuating the trunk handle ?... ) 2 - Is your trunk handle a single switch covered with rubber ? (without key cylinder and mechanized handle) 3 - how is currently programmed your remote : first press UNLOCK for driver door OPEN and a 2nd press UNLOCK for passenger's door + trunk OPEN ? or 1 single press for ALL in ONE OPEN ? 4 - Is your power roof operating properly in AUTO MODE ? (3 pre-defined positions) OR does it works only in manually (maintaining the button), from close to full open ? Thanks.

When I unlock the car with the key remote only the doors open.The trunk "boot" won't open with the key or by the handle and there is no key slider to open the trunk.However if i start the car and go to the trunk it opens with the handle, but not with the key button.The roof also only open if i hold the open and close buttons.Is this a setting or is it my key?

120

@Ashley8404 1 - Can you confirm where are you located ? ( to determine the market origin of your 500C...) 2 - If the roof opening buttons are not considering the pre-selected positions : You are currently in a "deffective mode" operation : the safe mode. (When in safe mode, the BCM (central) won't recognize the "Dave's procedure" to reinit... this is a sign !) 3 - the safe mode is engaged when a sensor or a component linked to the roof powered operation, is lost or "out of correct value"... The handle of the trunk "boot" is one of these sensors. (e.g : in the case the roof is full open (rear windows folded), it should first preserve the rear windows by retracting the roof until the windows is fully deployed, before allowing the trunk latch to open...) - This is the "link" between your roof in "safe mode" and a trunk "boot" handle not properly working. 4 - PLZ : can you precise how your trunk "boot" handle looks like ? (you can compare to the picture enclosed). On my 2012 FIAT 500C Lounge (Canadian market), it's a single electrical switch with a rubber cover. (It's a single "button to press"). There is NO mechanical latch to grip. (Depending of the car country market, there are different handles mounted by FIAT...). 5 - if the trunk "boot" button of the remote, has an effect at a moment or an other. Then your remote trunk button is not deffective. The trunk boot LOCK or UNLOCK is managed by the BCM (the central is common to the door/trunk locking and the roof operation). Alternative operating strategies are defined when in safe mode. This mean that BCM may surrely work perfectly too. All you have to do now is to identify which component is OUT or OUT OF VALUE, keeping the BCM in the safe mode.

I am new to this group, but these guys are Genius!, particularly the fellow who told me how to fix the trunk which wouldn't open on my new used 500 sport. THANK YOU!! How do I join this goup? jnevo111@gmail.com

Dave’s answer worked today 18/09/20 exactly as stated. Thank you so much Dave! Great ‘fix’

20

OMG...Dave you are amazing. I was so close to spending $98 bucks to buy a deck lid trunk latch and fortunately stumbled upon your post. I must admit I had to try 3 times before I got it right but in the end your method was SPOT ON ! How much do I owe you? Cheers Dave

Hi I had the same problem with the bagage hatch. I had to do the key and the "Dave" cab roof procedure 4 times. In my case the bagage hatch was closed before the cab procedure took place. After 3 times open and close the cab my bagage hatch opend. I closed the bagage hatch and try to open it by click the button on the key without success. Did the 4 time open and close cab procedure with the bagage hatch closed and now the key botton start to work with the bagage hatch. My Fiat 500 cab is from 2015. And last thanks to Dave who describe the reset procedure.

Will the above trick work with 2008 Fiat 500 Sport as well? I've tried it but to no avail, still can't open my trunk. Can anyone help me out please?

I'm fighting with the same problem on our 2015 500 Sport (US model). I popped the hatch open from inside, found a frayed large black wire in the harness at the top hinge, fixed that. I tested the hatch switch, open circuit between the two contacts when not pressed, and what I presume is 1.5k ohms (meter set for 2k ohms) when pressed. The weird thing is, if the hatch latch is in the closed position and I plug in the hatch switch, the latch opens, but if I press the latch button, nothing happens. So, simply plugging in the handle works activates the latch, but not the button. Any ideas?

10

Grandson's 2013 500 Pop. Cannot open hatch with either fob, or latch button. No visibly damaged wiring at hatch when I sliced open the rubber gaiter. No 'action' when jumping the pins on the hatch release connector. I'd like to check for power at the activator, but which is the 'power' lead, and what voltage should be there?

10

Dave was correct i did exactly as he stated and my trunk opened thx so much.

10

Hello. My 2012 Fiat 500 Trunk latch won’t open. All the wires are great from the body to trunk harness and the handle is grounding properly. But the wierd thing is that the trunk would work every once in a while and now its not working. I used a tester with a light bulb and its showing that all 3 wires coming to the actuator latch are reading ground. Is that supposed to be? I know the black is ground constant and the thin white and grey is the ground once the latch is closed. But the odd one is the purple cable that is reading ground constant. In my experience, you need to have atleast one wire with 12v to operate the little motor/actuator. Could it be an issue with maybe touching ground somewhere? I tested the purple wire by cutting it all the way before the BCM and it wasnt reading ground but coming from the BCM, it reads ground. What is going on? Thanks

10

Al1Elec: Where is the resistor that you found? i have Canadian fiat 500... i took apart the latch handle and nothing is there?

120

Hi Andrei, This prodecure applies only if your handle is a single electric commanded latch (not a mechanical latch). You need to dismantle the latch handle : - remove carefully the chrome cover and rubber cover to access to the switch (with the electrical wiring) - dismantle the moving part of the switch. It’s a plastic cover with a thin copper tab in it –(In order to establish contact with 2 plots in the other part, when pressing the handle) - inside the other part of the switch (where wires are linked to), you will see 2 plots (1 for each wire), with plastic over molded between plot and wire. One of them is larger. The 1.5 k Ohms resistor is located inside the larger one… Before repairing, just be sure about your diagnostic by using a multimeter between the plot and the wire… (If your measure indicates an open circuit, short circuit or resistor value “out of range” = You need to replace the resistor) Repairing : - use a DREMEL tool and carrefully “grind” the plastic cavity and resistor. Avoid to grind the plot ! and let a sufficient metallic surface to solder the new resistor… On the wire side : you can cut the wire flush to the pastic and drill a new hole to put a new stripped part of the wire. (Do notice : if the new stripped part of the wire is not copper colored but dark… your harness is corroded : replace the whole wires) After soldering the resistor between the plot and the wire, fulfill the cavity with a resin to avoid any vibration. Reassemble the latch handle… and enjoy ! … If you don’t have the right tooling you can also : - short-circuit the wire with the plot… - insert the resistor in the wiring (out of the switch) Resulting risk : Vibes and Door slam will makes the defect reappear one day or an other.

10

is this the button you are referring to? is it inside the plastic where blue wire is?

10

found it!!! had to mutilate that spot to get to the resistor... i will get a new one and will give it a try. will post the results soon

10

Well thank you so much Al1Elec !!!! there no no way in hell id be able to find this resistor... I had to drill it out and then since i did not have 1.5k resistor i chained up 4x470omhs (don't ask why i did 4 as 3 resistors would of worked...) anyway my trunk is opening and closing without any issues! thanks again man!

hello I have a 2012 fiat 500 sport and I have a problem with my trunk, in the swicth orange and white cable I have 0.38 volt and in the trunk motor, the purple cable there is no volt, can it be the bcm? help

BCM is delivering 12volts to motor output, ONLY if the BCM reads around 1,5kOhm on the input from the door handle switch... Saying that : "No voltage" may be a normal situation if the impedance (resistor) is uncorrect on the input... Dont measure the voltage, but rather the door handle switch impedance (when pressed...)

Dave is a godsend! The Fiat dealer wanted to charge me almost $150 just to "diagnose" this roof/trunk problem w/ my 2013 500c, even tho it must be well-known, given how often this happens. Who knows what the dealer would have charged me to "fix" it, so I said "never mind." I then googled the problem and followed Dave's advice. It took two tries, but now both the roof (which had switched itself to manual) and the trunk work just fine!

I'm at a loss for words. This worked, thank you!!!! The 2012 500C is alive for one more day. Thank you once more as this really works!!!!

10

Hi Dave THANKS! A new to me 2011 Abarth 500C had the boot opening problem and your guidance fixed it. It has happened again and it worked again - it seems to me that this will be an ongoing issue. The wires on the boot hinge are down to bare wires so i think I'll bind them with electrical tape. Any reason why not? Jane

Thanks Dave for the method and thanks also to Guru9TW21Z for the clarification! This same issue still exists on the 2021 Nouvelle 500e but luckily, Dave’s reboot, workaround still also works on this all electric model - so, some things don’t change! I shall now ‘look forward’ to the same old wiring problems on the boot lid! On the other side, I have to say that I love the car! I am a long-time TESLA afficionado (my S100D is now nearly 4 years old) and still love the big saloon for long-distance, fast, smooth driving - great car - but the little 500e, that is fun, reminds me of the original Mini-Cooper but more comfortable - and much quieter! Thanks again Dave & Guru!

My girlfriend just purchased a 2013 500c Lounge. Couldn't get the boot to open, but Dave's procedure now allows it to open manually just fine. The key fob still won't open the hatch, though. Are there any other tricks specifically to make the key fob hatch button work. Holding the trunk button down doesn't do anything, nor holding it and the open button simultaneously. Under warranty, so she could bring it in, but that's a pain, and might be good to be able to say specifically what it needs. Thanks much. /David

Dave, Tried your fix for the boot/ trunk. Worked great many thanks. Very much appreciated.

5

2013 500 Abarth c with the same problems as described. Wires to the trunk lid were frayed and I spliced them successfully. Attempted the roof reset, but it is not performing as described. Will continue to try as some have stated it took many tries. Will post again with my resolution . . . hopefully.

Hi everyone ! I found this forum while searching the solution for a weird problem. I have a 2012 Fiat 500 convertible and the problem is that the truk opens ONLY when when the key is turned on the MAR position of the ignition switch or with the engine on. Without the key on, it won't open either manually from the inside door handles or from the remote control keys when I unlock the doors. Soft top works perfectly. ( I have done the reset ). Finally I have to mention that depending on the version, when the soft top is fully open the trunk either looks or when you try to open it the soft top retracts. In my case with the egine on, the trunk opens even with the soft top fully open and the soft top doesn't retract. Car was bought second hand and I don't know any history. The problem was there from the beginning. Is there a valet setting for safety reasons that I can't find on the menus or do i start digging ? My car electrician has never heard of it. ( He's not specialized in FIAT though ) Any ideas ? Sorry for my long post, I tried to give any details that I can. Thanks in advance.

120

Hi Nikolaos, 1 - using the remote controle key doesn't sent an order in direct to the latch... It just send an information at the BCM to allow the validation of the switch (press or depressed information). This means that, in locked position, without this order, pressing the trunk door handle switch has not effect... 2 - There are different modes available for the programmation of the remote control keys. First, you have to check, what is the mode currently programmed on yours. (This in order to have a good understanding of your troubles). See the user manual to check the current mode and/or programme another mode. 3 - Pressing the trunk handle switch sent a "ON" information to the BCM, by applying a 1.5kOhm value at the BCM input (trunk switch inputs ). The sequence is as follow : - When receiving this information the BCM is also reading the "full open" sensor of the soft roof. If the softroof is detected as "full open", the BCM start a retracting sequence process, to release the softroof rear windows (avoiding interference with the trunk door). - At the end of the retracting sequence, (and only after the sequence is adaquatly done), the BCM send a 12 V to the trunk latch motor to release the trunk door. As you can see, the trunk handle door swtich and trunk door latch are fully separated items... In your case, you should first test all the connexion between these 2 items, the soft roof full open position sensor, and the BCM. Your configuration may result from a "recovery mode" due to a bad connexion, or a handle switch wrong value... or some short/open circuit. In normal operation, if the "full open" softroof position sensor is not correctly reading its position, you will lost the auto mode position, and your will not be allowed to open the trunk (even with a full deployed roof !). Your mode using the "RUN" position may result from a "recovery mode" to avoid not being able to open the trunk in such case... (e.g : when my 2012 FIAT 500C met this issue last year, I was not able to open my trunk in any case... My only way to open it, was to release the plastic recovery handle cable, in the trunk... from înside the trunk ! WTF !!!) I can imagine that your mode is a recovery mode avoiding this stupid situation.