Should I buy a 2005-2006 Chrysler 300 5.7L V8?

10

Asked by Aug 14, 2015 at 08:47 PM about the 2006 Chrysler 300 C

I was looking forward to buy a 2005-2006 Chrysler 300 with a 5.7L V8. However, as I
moved on and checked the websites and consumer reviews, I saw that these 5.7L V8
engines are non-reliable and cost loads of trouble. Maintaining them properly still does
lead to some problems. I am a car-lover and I take care of it carefully like regular oil
change around 3000 miles. I heard that oil sludge and valve break-down are the
common problems in these Chryslers. Please do recommend me whether to buy one?
If so, a high mileage or a low mileage one?

27,415

Reliability is NOT a strong suit for either Chrysler or Dodge....Consumer Reports shows WORST problems for the 2005 and 2006 in the areas of: Transmission Minor [Gear selector or linkage, leaks, transmission computer, transmission sensor or solenoid, clutch adjustment, rough shifting, slipping transmission] ; Fuel System [Check engine light, sensors (includes O2 or oxygen sensor), emission control devices (includes EGR), engine computer, fuel cap, fuel gauge/sender, fuel injection system, fuel pump, fuel leaks, stalling or hesitation]; Suspension [Shocks or struts, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, alignment, steering linkage (includes rack and pinion), power steering (pumps and hoses, leaks), wheel balance, springs or torsion bars, bushings, electronic or air suspension]. There are additional other areas that are problematic as well. My advice is that if you do not want to help line your mechanic's pockets and help him put his kids through college that you avoid this car.

57,735

Don't buy one, pretty simple. They can be a repair nightmare.

73,855

Consumer reviews are usually pretty accurate. They're written by regular people who own these cars. So if they say that they're not good. They're not good. Who would know better than someone who owns one? HTH. -Jim

95

I have had a 2005 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 HEMI for two years with 127,000 miles on it and it rides like a dream! Never once had to put money into anything but regular maintenance. The 5.7 HEMI engines are one of the good ones that if maintained properly, will run as long as Diesel engines. Every car is different, and they all seem to have their own flaws. However, most of the stuff I've heard about and read about, are mainly minor problems that don't cost a lot of money to fix. Just make sure to look at the car fax and the history of the car. If it seemed to have a lot of problems, stay away. If it was just regular oil, brake, and tire changes, it's probably a well maintained vehicle. If you do the same with it, it will be just as good to you.

10

Thank you so much for your answers! I really appreciate it! I am a student so I will not be using this car so much as my school is very near to my house. And the regular maintenance, I just want to ride it during week-ends or holidays. I am not a race or high-rev rider. So if I drive it gently and put in regular maintenance, will that be alright? I really love these cars.

57,735

You never know with a used car. A Toyota, Honda, Acura or Lexus will be much more reliable.

10

Thanks Bob!

57,735

Best of luck to you what ever you decide.

27,415

Alfrednyo...To be honest, it really doesn't matter that his car will not be a long distance daily driver for you (since you are at college near your house). Do you REALLY want your limited budget (I'm assuming that you're not a silver spoon kid with a massive trust fund) to go toward ridiculous and regular repairs that Chryslers are known for? Do you want to NOT be able to take that girl on a date or hang out with your friends because your car is at the shop AGAIN? Take our advice and avoid this car. If you give us an idea of your budget, we may be able to help steer you toward a much better car choice.

50

I just bought a 2006 300c with the Hemi 5.7. with 117K miles. Runs like a top! I bought it knowing that it has Shock/Strut issue in the front, but I can get that fixed relatively cheap. I paid 6K for the car an it looks brand new inside and out. Single owner took great care of it! I will update as time goes on to see how it works out. RW.

50

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE TO EITHER. I HAVE A 06 300C AND I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE ENGINE, TRANSMISSON AND SEVERAL OTHER THINGS. NOW I'M HAVING AN ISSUE WITH MY CAR DYING AND STALLING IN TRAFFIC . AT 1ST I THOUGHT I HAD BAD GAS BUT AFTER 3 TREATMENTS , 4 DIAGNOSTICS DONE (2 AT CHRYSLER SERVICE DEPT) PAID COUNTLESS AMOUNTS OF TIME AND MONEY , AND GUESS WHAT IT'S STILL NOT FIXED . I'VE TALKED TO OWNERS OF THESE VEHICLES AND AT LEAST 4 OF THEM HAVE VERY VERY SIMILAR ISSUES.I ALSO CALLED THE HQ AND THEY CLAIM THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR PROBLEM......"BULL" !!!!!!!!

Impala 2006 and up. Reliable, cheap,

Love my 300s awd! Test drove all models. The 5.7 was a dream to drive. Lots.of.power and smooth transmission to top speed. I settled for a 3.6 instead because I commute over 50 miles a day so the gas mileage is much better. But, I think often about the fun test drive of that 5.7!

Hey am looking foward to buy a 2005 hemi 300c honestly ive been on alot of reviews some owners say yes their fine to have one no issues. others say they do so if atleast a car owner of a 2005 300c could tell me hows it going with the car?? Not taking the car for a daily or long runs its just to get to one point to the other i really love the look of the car but am interested on the engine issues and goodies.

10

I bought a 300c 5.7l Hemi 2005 two years ago, when it had done 85.000 kilometers. Now, at 115.000 kilometers, I could summarize the two years. No engine problems with exception to a slight oil over consumption. But a lot of irritation over clunking suspension and worn steering, which also has caused repair costs of about 2.000 usd. So, multiple times higher repair costs, than for our second car, a Toyota Corolla - which had repairs for about 400 usd, for about 3 times more kilometers than the Chrysler. After having said that, I must admit that I am still in love with the 300c. What a car. What an engine. What an attitude. Even though it is a twelve year old car, people look appreciating and give great comments about it. OK, I pay a lot for gas. But the feeling driving the 300c is worth it all. I drive it at all times.

I absolutely loved my 2006 chrysler 300C . I have had it for 5 years. Have done all the scheduled maintenance. The car drove like a dream. The hemi is so powerful sexy looking car. But the other day I stopped to go into a store came out car wouldn't start. Had it towed to dealer they said my motor was gone. $7600 for a new motor. This was surprising because there was no warning. No engine light no smoke nothing. Was driving perfectly fine before I went in store.

My sister loved her 07 300c with the 5.7 hemi until yesterday. Always maintained. Last full engine service was in May but it just "dropped a valve seat" into cylinder 5 which destroyed the cylinder. Needs a new engine. Mechanic said it was a problem with this engine until 2010. Avoid those years.

I had same problem as Guru92LN, dropped a valve seat, destroyed the cylinder. This was my only way back to and from college and my job. Not sure which way to go. Think I may need to quit school to fix car. My dad told me not to buy a Chrysler should have listened. Now it's costing me my career.

i have a 2006 chrysler 300C 5.7, with 100,000 miles. Never had one problem with it. Mines not stock i have some bolt on upgrades, still no issues. I run the sh*t out of my car, racing at the track also. Its how you take care of the car. If you lack oil changes and maintenance, yes your asking for problems. If you don't know how to drive it correctly, yes your asking for problems. That's with any car. I change my oil with Royal Purple every 3k miles.