2911 mini cooper s countryman

Asked by Jul 27, 2017 at 08:03 AM about the 2011 MINI Countryman S ALL4

My wife just got a 2011 mini cooper s countryman
with 111000 miles . The car is in great  overall
shape , inside and out , like new . When we picked
it up from the dealer , as soon as she gave it gas it
smoked a grey/black smoke from the tail pipe ,
and I can smell unburned gas . The limited power
light came on , so we turned around and took it
back . They say it was fixed , but after a few miles (
like 20) it came back . I looked at the air filter and it
was about 90% clogged  with signs of a squirrel
nest in the air box , and I got black so the residue
on the tail pipes , sign of running rich . Changed air
filter , clean and re-gap the plugs ( changing them
today) . The light keeps on coming on , there is no
noticeable drop on power , but I don't want to kill
the engine . Any ideas ????

27,065

have it read...codes...then report back.

23,205

lawyer up and tell them that they sold you a defective car- even tho you signed papers, and there is a statement that says "sold as is" they should take it back because selling junk is immoral- your first mistake was not feeling odd when you were looking at a mini with that high mileage in the first place- next time, do your homework and have the vehicle checked by a mechanic before you shake hands-

I did all my homework , I researched it for 3 weeks , found many with much more miles than this , and other than regular maintenance and a couple of usual gremlins there was no reason to shy from a high miles unit . Price was below average for similarly milage cars , had my mechanic (know him for 23 years) check it over and everything checked fine , I have a full warranty , bumper to bumper , that covers everything exempt body or upolstery damage . The yest drive was great , and it all just happened on the first 5 miles . Dealer is working on it and standing behind their product 100% , and are as baffled as me . The nearest dealer is 2 hours away , and for what I read , they will also guess and change expensive parts and see if that solves the problem , so they are last resort . So if you have any stupid comments like the last one , shove them up your bud . I have been working on cars and vintage bikes since I was a kid , so I am no stranger to things . My idea is a bunch of unburned fuel got spite out and fouled the already old oxygen sensors . After two hours the light went off again , see what happens now . Any ideas are welcome , dumb as comments are not

254,145

Jamn is just being honest. A used MIni isn't not always the best purchase. we get a lot of questions/issues on them. It sounds like you did your due diligence but you'd be surprised on the type of questions we get here. So we are jaded. So unless we know the fault code or codes, it will be hard to guess at this point what the issue is. Could be an O2 sensors to a leaky fuel injector, etc. You mentioned you purchased a full warranty, so let the dealer keep the vehicle till it is fixed or have them refund your money is my two cents.

23,205

Gabriel, no reason to be impolite- I gave you good advice, first, avoid Mini Coopers, second, try to just give this car back- you had your "mechanic check it over" and you have been "working on vintage cars and bikes" since you were a kid and yet nobody found the nest in the air cleaner? why ask us, if you already know it all?