Transmission overheating due to diffrent size tires, and or battery?

10

Asked by Feb 25, 2015 at 08:44 AM about the 2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude X 4WD

My transmission temperature light came on a few months ago while moving from orlando to tampa. I live in florida its hot already but I have never had issues. When it happen the first time it, as a safety precaution it lower your power and you have to pull off and wait. I brought it to jeep the first time and they said nothing was wrong. I recently like this week brought it there and they said it was due to my tires being different sizes and the front more warn, and my battery had bad cold crank amps. My tires sizes are
p215 65r17 98t rear
215 65r17 99t front
would that really cause the issue or is it something else it soulds fishy to me.

2,345

i honestly cant see either of that causing your problems in my opinion. car manufacturers have to leave a leeway between tire sizes... you cant run 2 totally different size tires but they leave enough so that tread wear and low tire pressure causes minimal effect. where i would start off with is have you ever had your transmission serviced? new fluid and filter would be a good start and a flush isnt a bad idea either, atleast flush the cooler. im thinking you have insufficient flow throughout your transmission lines including the cooler. much like a rad. if the fluid doesn't flow through the rad then it doesn't cool down.

10

I went in to get it serviced and the guy told me it should be good through duration of the vehicles life. I chucked at that.

2,345

lol ya you should have shown him your owners manual. i know it used to be ever 100,000 miles your transmission should be serviced but now dealers are starting to change it to every 30,000 miles. every 30,000 miles you should have the fluid drained and a new filter put in. every 100,000 miles you should have it flushed.

10

I didnt even think of that. I will have to do that next time cause I am sure I will be back. Thank you for your reply

2,345

no problem hope all works out for you :)

40

I just had the same problem. Did a transmission flush resolve the issue?

140

This is a serious issue with the Jeep Patriot. The car is defective in the heat. I have had this problem with my Jeep Patriot for the past several years, leading to thousands of dollars in repairs, none of which resolve the issue. The issue seems to be the transmission fluid, which is nearly impossible to check because it is supposed to be for the "lifetime of the vehicle" so service centers don't check it. I am considering filing a class action lawsuit, actually.

10

Right now, I am having the third transmission put in my Patriot. It went out at about 40000 miles and again at about 90000. The first time it went I was literally stuck 4 states away for a week and a half and we will see how long it takes this time. The dealer has no answers for me when asked what happens when the next one goes out and it is out of warrenty:(

10

All owners need to band together and file a law suit. I just bought a 2010 Compass from a local Honda Dealer. Was driving home, 3 hours from the dealer and the transmission started whining and a light came on the dash. Had to pull over and let sit 30 mins. The light went out but the Transmission still is whining.The dealer will fix it or I'll return the POS

10

Whomever stated the fluid in the jeep is the answer my opinion they are absolutely correct! my jeep patriot has 215,100 miles and has a small transmission leak in which I ALWAYS made sure I filled it. I had to travel on a hour and half trip in which I was late so I decided to drive a little faster than normal, 45 minutes into the drive the "orange" light comes on which I find later to be the transmission light. I was traveling approximately 75- 80 miles an hour then all of a sudden I lost power the Patriot dropped speed down to 40 miles an hour. Now I've had an oh crap moment.... remember in the beginning when I said, I always made sure to put fluid in.....this one time I didn't I had forgotten. A $50 dollar seal I could have killed my jeep who has been great to me. Check your fluids.

Jessica, did you file? I’d like to join the lawsuit for a class act because my car has been stalling for years with this same light in the transaxel. You should be able to drive your car long distances. I can’t drive longer than an hour and can’t drive over 70.

10

On the patriot with the CVT transmission, you are not able to check the fluid light at home. It requires a specific dipstick that does not come with the vehicle. When I brought it to a local shop they had to turn me away because the specific one cost over a grand and they couldn't justify purchasing it. Let me know if they file suit. It's a ridiculous problem.

Ive been having the same issue with my 2013 keeps patriot. I’ve taken it to a Jeep dealer to be looked at and they claimed it’s a safety feature and can’t be turned off in the Jeep. I’m calling bullshit. A car shouldn’t have to pull over on the side of the interstate for 15 min after driving every hour going over 60 mph. I have a 5 month old and traveling with him and stopping on the side of the road every 25-30 miles on the side of the interstate IS NOT SAFE! There needs to be a recall and I want my money back. This problem didn’t start until right after my 60,000 mike warranty that came with the car expired!

I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot and the light just came on. About a month ago I had to have the Transmission Throttle replaced. I wonder if one has something to so with the other. The 2010 has a CVT trans, the dealer said the fluid shouldn't need replacing cuz it is a sealed system. But the oil change place said I should change it.