Head Lights

Asked by Jan 31, 2009 at 06:09 PM about the 1990 Cadillac DeVille Base Coupe

I want to upgrade my headlights to the new wider and farther high intensity white (blue) light types.
1. What are the best lights (bulbs) to get?
2. How do I install them?
3. anything else I should know abought these high intensity lights?
Thanks

1,475

There are several HID conversion kits available on the aftermarket that can accomodate your needs. The simplest and cheapest method is to install Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They are significantly brighter than stock bulbs and have a somewhat bluish color. If all you need is better visibility at night, this is an easy, cheap option. A 2-pack of these bulbs usually runs about $30 to $50 depending on the type of bulb that fits your car. If you want a TRUE HID conversion, the cost will probably be higher. You will need to purchase a kit with a ballast box and true HID bulbs. Since HID operates on much higher voltage than Halogen bulbs (25,000 volts instead of 12 volts) you must have the ballast (power converter) box in order to make it work. The ballast is usually hooked to the existing 12 volt headlamp wiring. The ballast will then have a wiring harness that goes to the bulbs. Find a safe place to mount the ballast box. Hook the power wires to the existing headlamp wiring. Then run the wires to the headlamps to power the bulbs. If you get the right kit for your type of bulbs, the HID bulbs should fit in your current headlamp assembly. simply remove the halogen bulbs, install the HID bulbs, and hook up the wiring. these kits can be found on the internet for anywhere from $150 and up. The cheapest kits often do not have many features. I recently installed a kit for a guy who purchased it off the internet. His CAR used one bulb for both high and low beams. The KIT only had provisions for low beams. SO, when the kit was installed, he did not have high-beams any more. this was OK, because the HID's are so bright that you do not need high beams anyway (HID low beams are probably brighter than your current high beams) but be sure to double check what you are getting, if the kit seems too cheap. Seth (ASE Certified Master Auto Technician)

Best Answer

Thanks Seth - Abilities