security problems with my 1991 fleetwood

Asked by Oct 31, 2016 at 04:16 PM about the 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan FWD

I have a 1991 Fleetwood that is rust free, looks great and runs like a new car. My problem is when I put the key in the ignition ,if the security light comes on the car will not start. If I wait exactly four minutes and try again it usually starts, but not always. Some times I have to go through this procedure three or four times before it starts. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

105,475

Could be bad contacts on the key or the tumbler contacts, you might try cleaning them with some automotive contact cleaner and a Qtip, other cleaners can damage the plastics.

72,475

It's most likely the ignition lock cylinder. There's two tiny wires in there that contact the visible chip on the key. These wires wear and break over time. Once you replace the lock cylinder you'll have to get new keys cut using the template supplied with the new lock cylinder. You'll have to determine which chip key you have in order to get the right replacement key. There were 15 possibilities. HTH. -Jim