Antifreeze leak

Asked by Dec 06, 2014 at 12:44 AM about the 2011 Ford F-150 FX2 SuperCrew LB

I'm working on a f150 to get the intake manifold off to change the gaskets because of a
coolant leak and when I got the hoses from the radiator and the coolant tank it was all
brown which means it's mixed with oil and it likely a head gasket but I was wondering if
anyone else had this problem and how you fixed it

8,420

Color alone can be evidence of many things. Are you sure it is oil? and not bars leak or age old failed coolant that is eating everything due to chemical and electrolytic conditions? You might have to regasket the whole top end, but you need to clean and flush everything, every component. Let a good sample sit in a large jar for awhile and see what floats. That ought to save you the machine work time for head pressure testing or magnafluxing. But if you keep finding more, worse evidence, The breakdown of engine parts is more likely. that means the grounds are possibly inadequate and or no maintenance. That makes it a little more personal for that vehicle, perhaps. There's judgement call there in your future, take the parts to an engine builder for a look if you are in doubt. pump impellers, heater cores and radiators, as well as coolant pipes and fittings can suffer from this electrolytic corrosion during such circumstances.

Yeah I found that in this model engine there's a radiator type thing for oil that's surrounded by antifreeze and the might be the issue so imma pull that off tomorrow to check it and see if that the problem but all the heads pressures were fine less than five from each other but Ill probably need to replace the manifold because the area around the gasket has a lot of gunk and build up, I'll get back if I find anything else thanks

8,420

You want engine TSB bulletins from your dealer or a trusted automotive database. material at or around a gasket may or may not show need for replacing that manifold unless it has a cause to be called a failed part. I cannot verify the sight of it because I have not seen it. The cause may be elsewhere and the info is not known to me. The engine size is not reported here. If the intake has carbon that could be normal, if the intake is eaten away by corrosion, then the electolysis may be the key. The coolant tank for heat exchange, if it is for cooling trans fluid, an overheat can force coolant into the trans. The temp difference and pressure difference would tend to add coolant into it during the overheat then it would end up in a transmission pan, and lead to slippage in a automatic trans. Removing that trans pan may reveal a deposit of cream goo in that pan. more than one fluid change may be necessary to collect and drain any water or glycol based fluid from the massive amount contained in a transmission's system. The torque converter and the clutches, the valve body, and the cooler can add up to 18 quarts of trans fl. in the ford trucks. but you have not identified the power train components or reported them here. seek advice from an engine shop in your area before spending. Used parts may be a help if you are going to just start guessing. Temp and pressure can breach that heat exchanger during any overheat, to reitterate.