automatic transmission

Asked by Feb 13, 2016 at 11:33 PM about the 1991 Cadillac Eldorado Base Coupe

when i first start the car and put it in gear, it does not move.  it is like it is in
neutral    i rev the engine and after maybe a minute later, it clunks into gear.    
what is the problem.  once it engages, it is perfect all day.  no problem.  shifts
strong and quiet.

5,415

Sounds low on transmission fluid - warm the vehicle up to operating temperature and check the fluid level

4,575

set the parking brake...shut the engine off...pull the automatic transmission stick..wipe...check the level...it should be cherry red not black and should be filled to the line...no more~ no less~ if all is correct with the level am going to have to assert that the cable linkages are bent or mounting points have rotted holders~ causing a shift in the correct shift points....but hey, I'm just an artist who used to be the Sunday Mechanic in Berkeley in 1994- 6 and have made many errors but usually customers get towed in...then drive off happy~...but Trannies may have crappy mounts and jiggle around a bit, forcing a change in geometry and creating a risky situation at high speed on the driveshaft...but it will take nothing to take your prybar and try to pry it and see if the mount is cracked now...that might be somethin' then~ you have to see what item is messed up...then replace the screwed up item....yep~