Intermittent Spark

Asked by Sep 16, 2011 at 02:27 PM about the 1991 Cadillac Eldorado Base Coupe

I have a 91 Eldorado with the 4.9 motor.  It cuts out randomly while driving and will not start back up.  After towing it back to the house, it starts up a day or two later.  I have checked the fuel system and it checks out.  When it doesn't run, there is no spark at the plug. I have checked the coil, wiring, ignition module and hall sensor in the distributor and they check out.  It seems that whenever I try to diagnose the ignition, the car starts and all the components are working correctly .  Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution?

80

You Might want to check this website out. Im going through the same problem right now. http://newrockies.com?ap_id=ctaveras39

Check your battery for a dead cell. If it doesn't maintain enough amperage for the computer, it'll shut down the car.

720

could be your computer is heating up and cutting out. easiest way to find out is when it cuts out put an ice bag on top and bottom wait a few minutes and try to start if it does problem solved.