I have a 1991 cadillac brougham 5.0 ltr..My catalytic converter sounds bad and it leaks. I've had the converter replaced 3 times within 2 years. It rides nice and quiet for a week or 2, then it goes bad again. The digital dash isnt working properly anymore. So im thinking maybe that has something to do with it. The mechanics keep telling me the car might be running rich. Is there any other type of exhaust or special converter that i can put on my car that will solve the problem? or overhaul the entire exhaust system? Thanks!

10

Asked by Jan 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM about the 1991 Cadillac Brougham RWD

8,545

if it is going bad, replace your coolant thermostat. it can cause your cat to go bad. your engine could be running cold; not in proper operating temps.

Best Answer Mark helpful
107,965

A good mechanic should be able to check a couple of plugs and the exhaust to confirm a rich condition. Fix the rich condition...

Jason makes an excellent point. Many folks think a bad thermostat will only cause an engine to overheat, bit if it is stuck open the coolant may never gets up to proper operating temperature, the coolant begins full flow immediately when the car is started and may not ever get up, especially if you live where it gets very cold

10

Thank you guys!

8,545

exactly David, i found out by experiencing it on my own. it costed 600 for the cat!!! that was the last time.. i'll never ignore changing the thermostat when it fails to get to operating temps again! Your Welcome, GearKid!

10

I'll get right on it. You guys are awesome. Thanks again fellas!