Why won't my Outlander start?

Asked by Jul 14, 2013 at 03:30 AM about the 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE AWD

I had driven my car a couple of times today and when I got home I let the headlights on to see in my garage.  When I went to start my Outlander, it wouldn't start.  The battery isn't dead because the lights, radio, etc. all work.  When I try to start it, it makes a clicking noise.  The ASC light comes on, but I'm not sure if that comes on when you start it anyway.

its probably got enough juice to run everything but not enuff to start the car,,, put it on a charger til its fully charged and then give it a go,,, or try to jump it but make sure its not the kind of car that cant be jumped (im not liable if you screw your car up so MAKE SURE you can jump it first)

I have the 2010 Mitsu Outlander SE AWD and can tell you that the ASC (Active Stability Control) light should just come on as a "self-check" when you start it and has nothing to do with your problem. I've only had mine since January of this year, but have yet to experience any problems as far as not being able to start her up. Not sure what Daniel thinks, but it might be the alternator, if you keep getting a clicking noise and all of the interior lights come on. I don;t think it would be a problem trying to give her a jump start...Let us know what happens.

bad alternators DO NOT cause cars to not start !!! only if its bad and then the battery becomes drained from not recharging but if you have a charged battery your alternator will not prevent the car from starting

Just thought I would throw that idea out there to see what you thought @ Daniel....Not quite sure what to make of the OP's problem. Keep us posted @ plricketts.

Hi all. I just had the same problem with my 2014 sport. I started noticing problems with the start 3 months after I bought it. I had taken it to get checked for the start problem repeatedly I with no answers and no "problem" found either. Today it completely stopped all together. Same situation the ASC warning came on and triggered a service light. The battery was replaced almost 6months ago so it shouldn't be bad. What ended up happening with your situation?

The same thing just happened to me this morning. When I tried to start my car it wouldn't turn over and was making a few different clicking noises. All the electronics were working but, the car wouldn't start. Turns out the battery was starting to fail. I had the help of AAA and their battery tester to tell me that was my problem. After we popped in a new battery the problem was fixed. I recommend getting your battery tested before getting a jump. If your battery is going out a jump may temporarily solve your problem but leave you stranded somewhere.

theres a recall for the ecu

Same thing happens to me. Sometimes it will turn over, and sometimes it wont. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 tries before it will actually start. It does spin, so I dont think it is the battery, but I am not sure what could cause it not to start on the first try. I have heard something to do with the keys being too heavy, but there is hardly anything on my keychain. I am deeply confused by what it is doing and wish someone could tell me its an easy fix.

I have a 2013 Outlander Sport and had the same problem "will not turn over and start and ASC light on". I took it to two dealers the first wanted to remove the dash board and said possibly get into the transmission to locate sensors that may be bad. I told the first Dealer to forget it. If they could not pinpoint the bad component they are not going to go on a safari looking for the problem on my dime. The second dealer had it fixed in 20 minutes! which was shocking! They replaced the starter relay. The part costs less than 15 bucks. Hope this helps!