1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville

20

Asked by Feb 19, 2017 at 03:22 PM about the 1992 Cadillac DeVille Sedan FWD

My 1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville seems to be losing coolent from the radiator but not running hot.  It Bubbles at the Reservoir after I stop.  I can let the car sit for a few days and take the radiator cap off and it blows pressure out and overflows briefly. Can find No leaks under car.  No water in oil.  No smoke from the tailpipe.  Any help would be appreciated.  Runs and drives smoothly.

81,445

I suspect the timing chain is worn since it's boiling over after shutting it off. Retarded (late) valve and/or ignition timing can cause that. Is this a higher mileage car? If so, the timing chain is a prime suspect. It could also be a bad knock sensor retarding the ignition timing. Do you have a lack of power? When you see it boiling over, start the engine. Is the temperature indicator on then? HTH. - Jim

81,445

Check the ignition timing with a timing light to confirm my suspicions. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
20

Will do on the timing. As far as the indicator light, it is functioning but does not come on when this happens. I've just never seen a car that has sat for 2 days have pressure at the radiator cap without it being driven. Also, it's mainly pressure and very little water that blows out. I can hold the cap down and it slowly releases the pressure into the reservoir. I have heard people talk about the heads or head gaskets being faulty on these cars but I think that was for the later models.

81,445

If the ignition timing checes out, flush out the cooling system and refill using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Also add the GM sealant tablets. These tablets can be had at any GM dealer, Amazon, or eBay. DON'T use the aftermarket ones such as Bar's Leaks, etc. They're NOT the same. The GM AC Delco tablets were designed for this engine, and other GM engines that followed. You can also use GMs cooling system cleaner that will remove any rust and junk in the cooling system. It's safe for your engine. HTH. -Jim

20

Thanks for the tip. I'll check with NAPA and see if they have those. If not I'll try Amazon. I Appreciate it.

81,445

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim