If your car is starting an about 3 sec shuts off does it have anything to do with the fuel regulator

60

Asked by Nov 20, 2014 at 10:14 PM about the 1992 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

68,365

I would not think so,check the fuel relay,and filter,then take a look at the fuel pump,you can do this by checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Best Answer Mark helpful
20,190

I believe the ignition key has a chip or resistor in it. The ignition can stop reading the key and shut the car down after a few seconds. It's part of the anti- theft system.

68,365

Agree,all so with TA77.

60

Yes it has a chip in it but when I turn key it doesn't show security light I put on new fuel filter, fuel pump,

68,365

Tuff,doe,s the engine light stay on?

60

When i turn key the check engine light comes on an goes off I check error code but don't have any

68,365

One thing come,s to mind,check the pick up module in the distributor,it will crank,then shut car down,if bad

20,190

There can be many different things that can cause this problem. It could also be the throttle position sensor or throttle plate (butterfly) if it's dirty clean it with carb cleaner.

68,365

I dont, think your loosing fuel,your loosing fire.

60

I installed the whole distributor, new set plugs checked for sparks getting that fuel pressure between 45 an 50 psi maybe its the tps sensor ...what do you guys think

20,190

That's what I said a few posts back.LOL

68,365

Tell you the truth ,tuff,all you have replaced,and you have the same issue,im think it may be the ECM,a tps,would not make it,not run,it just would not idle right.I may be wrong,but with all you have done so far,you have spark you have fuel,the ecm go,s stupid within the first few second,s ,then shut,s down,,

60

Yea transam77 im gonna try that and she what she does

60

Is there another way to find out if the ecm is bad

20,190

Good luck. Let us know how it goes n what you find wrong with it.

60

OK thanks

68,365

This is hard to determine without removing it and haveing checked by a dealer or good mechanic that has the proper diagnostic tool,s to check it,but in this year model they were notorious for going bad,and want show a code for nothing ,,making it hard to diagnose it,it has to be ran threw a program that check,s the ecm,

60

Thanks tst I have a new tps sensor and ecm on the way in a couple days I'll let y'all know what going on