1993 Cadillac STS

10

Asked by Nov 30, 2006 at 08:20 PM about the 1993 Cadillac Seville STS FWD

Cad wasn't a choice!!!   I have a 93 Seville STS.  Reverse does not work.  All other gears are fine.  The car creeps forward in Neutral.  Pulled pan all looks clean.  Replaced fluid.  same problem.  I can pull the valve body, but, beyond that--I'm too old to pull the tranny.   (Car overheated before all the problems started, but runs fine after water added to radiator.)

Thanks, Allan

Also, what is a sun shell, and could this be the problem, and how difficult is it to change?

33,175

Hi Alan, I did a long search of what a sun shell is, and although i am not fully comprehending what a "sun shell" does, I did find out that when a sun shell breaks it you will lose your reversing capabilites. It happens because the sun shell is directly connected to the reverse drum. As far as fixing it, check with a local mechanic to see if he can possibly give you some guidance into fixing it because i couldn't find any diagrams or instructions on replacing it.

10

colinlroger....Thanks for your help. Talked to several mechanics already. All want to charge from $1800 to $2600. The car is perfect, but it does have 120K and is worth $2500 Max if all is working. If i can't fix it myself, I will have to shoot it. Think I can pull the valve body, but that is the limit at my age. If sun shell can be replaced without pulling the tranny I may have hope. Your thoughts? Allan